Tell Something Weird About Yourself

Trudy, Trudy, Trudy et al - we ALL talk to ourselves! That’s what kids, pets and especially cellphones are for - I figure as long as I have a set of earbuds or something that passes as a Bluetooth ‘planted’ appropriately I can say whatever the heck I want to that can of beans at the supermarket. Really, gang, this ‘self-chit-chat’ thing has been ‘legal’ since the first Walkman came out eons ago. Even cave man kept his ‘club’ for company! Moses talked to bushes and poor Noah … he had to work for someone nobody else could see! I’ll bet his neighbours played havoc with his psyche throughout that ‘dry spell’ before the big storm. He probably got multiple parking tickets for leaving that half-built Ark in the driveway. And who cleaned up that mess when the animals showed up, two by two + poo?

And Jen - as above regarding your baby blankie - that’s why God gave us cute little furry critters! Without at least one furball cuddled in REAL close to me, even on a hot night, (since kitty fur absorbs my body sweat quite well and they still smell really yummy as long as they don’t open their little fishy mouths), but without something purring next to me, sleep is just a distant ‘dream’.

As for the topic of weird somethings, I am proud to admit that I personally have absolutely no weird or illogical habits (brb - just gotta set my CD up to play #5 for the 138th time). Yes, lucky for me, EVERYthing I do all day every day makes perfect sense to everyone! Okok, maybe that one little dip in the Jell-O bath might have been a bit of a stretch, but everything else I do is completely … what’s that word that continually escapes me? Starts with ‘NO’, ends with ‘Mal’?? Oh yeah - N O R M A L !

I must also admit that I was not always this perfect. I’ve probably tried and quit more bad/weird habits that most of you have even known about. In fact, with great courage, I managed to cut out drugs when I was finishing college. Before that I cut out drinking and since then I’ve also cut out smoking, fatty foods and everything else that feels good! I’ve cut out so many vices in the past that now I often find myself sitting in the ward cutting out paper dolls.

So you kids just continue revealing all your deep dark skeletal secrets and I’ll sit back and critique with impunity the insatiable frivolity of the human race … speaking as an outsider, of course.

Besides, it’s almost time for my medications. Last night I almost over-dosed on Gravol. I tried to induce vomiting but the emetic I had from the pharmacy was already past its expiry date, so I had no idea what it would do to me. I was afraid it might make me throw up! So instead, I just took more Gravol. I couldn’t take Seldane as I’m allergic to antihistamines and I can never figure out how those darned crystals work. I find them too hard to swallow!

Unlike most of you ‘weird’ people, I have tried to avoid becoming a hypochondriac, or worse. What if being a hypochondriac was all in my head? Would I have to take placebos for my imaginary illness? And what if I got addicted to those? Would I have to get on a placebo addiction program and take fake placebos in decreasing doses? Would I need to wear a Medic-Alert bracelet indicating my sugar pill addiction and would that addiction necessitate another bolus of insulin? Perhaps hypochondria is the one disease I have not yet acquired?

Oh heck, I don’t know what I’m saying. It must be the Crystal Lite (the only crystals I can swallow). Dr. Google says I should stick to clear fluids while my tummy settles … Hmmm, do you suppose
‘clear fluids’ would include vodka?

Nuff logic – I shall repair to the Ladie’s Room and apply some mascara to my mind’s eye. Nobody likes an unadorned visual window.

Carry On Being Weird y’all! I have better things to do!
bikette@www.UsedToBeConceitedButNowI’mPerfect.gag

8 Likes

I played in a big band that DID have a version of “New York, New York” in its book. It was the Dave Wolpe arrangement (Dave was at Mount Hood Community College). It was the most passive-aggressive arrangement I have ever heard of a song. In a dig at the most popular arrangement, when it got to the “I want to wake up in a city that doesn’t sleep…” part, it went into a very quiet Basie-style piano solo. It ended on a cluster of notes–a discordant chord, if you will. It made me laugh because the lead trumpet player would always say, “We should change that last chord.”

He didn’t get the joke that the arranger probably did it under protest or at least pressure from his agent. I always said, in reply to him, “that’s the best part of the whole arrangement.”

That was my attempt to both quote Rowan Atkinson’s “Blackadder” (England’s greatest situation comedy–sorry “Fawlty Towers”) AND cause you distress.

Blackadder encounters a couple of actors who are superstitious about the “Scottish Play”.

“Being but a mere butler, you will not know the great theatre tradition that one does never speak the name of the Scottish Play.”

“What, Macbeth?”

“Aahhhhh! Hot potato, off his drawers, pluck to make amends. (they tweak each other’s noses) Ohhh!”

“Good lord, you mean you have to do that every time I say Macbeth?”

“Aahhhhh! Hot potato, off his drawers, pluck to make amends. Owwww!”

“Will you please stop saying that! Always call it the “Scottish Play”.”

“So you want me to say the “Scottish Play”?”

“YES!!!”

“Rather than Macbeth?”

“Aahhhhh! Hot potato, off his drawers, pluck to make amends. Owwwwww!”

3 Likes

There’s nothing odd about talking to yourself. I’ve done it for years. Heck, I even get into arguments with myself. The only time I ever worry about it is when I lose the arguments.

1 Like

Did you ever see Blackadder’s Christmas Carol? He starts out nice and turns mean by the end. Even insults the queen to her face. Hysterical. And Robbie Coltrane plays the ghost.

(And quite cleverly, it’s set in a different historical era than the rest of the series, to avoid any plot contradictions or entanglements.)

All of that said, however, the best thing I’ve ever seen Rowan Atkinson do was his comedy special on HBO. Some of those sketches were as good as anything Monty Python ever dreamed up.

1 Like

“Oh, Mr. Blackadder, did you find me a little fowl for Christmas?”

“Mrs. Scratchit, I always find you foul–and more than a little.”

1 Like

Oh dear!! Among other weird things that make me “me”…I bet no one else here has experienced this…associating a colour to certain sounds?

2 Likes

Ha…here too. Reason why my pic is 8 years old!!

My dad was a fantastic jazz pianist, and after retiring from his day job took to playing weddings and functions and whatnot. Knew thousands of songs from the period of Earl Fatha Hines to Art Tatum, American Songbook, the classic show tunes, all learned by ear.

New York was the one tune he absolutely refused to play under any circumstances.

Synesthesia. I have it with colors and numbers.

2 Likes

I don’t directly associate sound and color, but tones and keys sound completely different to me. You play me a song in G and it has a certain sound; play it in Ab and it’s a completely different song. It took me a long time to figure out that a key change made an old song new for me.

Having said that, keys also have a certain character. Eb is martial, G is earthy, D is bright & sunny, C is folksy. I need to have been playing in a key for a while to remember what that character is, though.

1 Like

The problem with New York squared is that it’s never played in its correct context. It comes from a pretty dark movie and was turned into a celebration of “making it.” Sort of like Jack Jones’ version of “Every Breath You Take.” Just wrong.

Which movie?

New York, New York is the name of the movie as well. It’s the title song. Robert DeNiro and Liza Minnelli.

Directed by Martin Scorsese. Robert DeNiro’s character is supposed to be a mixture of Frank Sinatra and Tommy Dorsey. “The man and his music” was probably invented to help describe the disparity between their interpersonal skills and musical genius.

I am going to have to track this one down–thanks for the info.

Fascinating how many of the best films have been “dark”. Midnight Cowboy, Last Tango in Paris, Paths of Glory, The Godfather, On the Waterfront . . . the list just goes on and on.

(Which reminds me, I am thinking of starting a support organization for people who talk too much. I thought we might call it On Anon Anon.)

3 Likes

Good one, David. Like it!

I still have my baby blanket too!!! I used to smell it while sucking my thumb and twirling my hair! I don’t suck my thumb anymore but I still find comfort in smelling my blanket and i still sleep with it every night! My husband thinks I’m nuts, hahaha! We’ve been together since 8th grade (27 years ago) so he’s certainly used to my weirdnesses.

I might have to put my blanket away soon because its becoming very shredded. I’m not sure what I’ll do. The thought causes me great anxiety - which in turn causes me to twirl my hair - Lol!

Me, too. LOL. I already have to hand wash it because I’m sure it would tear apart in the washing machine. If I want it to last until I’m old, I’ll probably have to put it away at some point… :slight_frown:

2 Likes