Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)

Went to see the Mental Health guy at my Endo’s office today and we chatted about some things. Seeing as how it was our first talk together, I gave him the whole diagnosis story starting at 10 years ago and wrapping it up with the whole wheat muffin I had for breakfast this morning. As many diabetics do (or people living with a chronic illness, for that matter), I blamed myself for the disease. Being the only diabetic in the family, I wondered if there was something that I could’ve done to prevent it. Turns out there wasn’t…I was genetically pre-disposed to be a T1. No matter what I did growing up, there was nothing I could do. Needless to say, a weight was lifted when I found this out.
So, a big thank you goes out to Manny. I found this site about 2 months ago and it has changed the way I look at being diabetic. Before I felt alone and that diabetes was for old people like Wilford Brimley who pronounced it in a funny way. Now, because of this site, I realize that the disease effects (or is it affects? I can never remember) all sorts of people who do normal things like me on a daily basis. It also made me realize that there are people just like me that have good control over their levels, way out of left-field get a reading of 352, and not have to make themselves feel guilty because they were high. Diabetes isn’t so much a disease as it is a lifestyle, and because of tudiabetes.com the feelings of helplessness and loneliness are no longer there.

Hey Tim -
I think it’s pretty cool your Endo office has a MHG! I mean, if you aren’t somewhat unhinged before you acquire this disease, you sure are at times after your acquisition!!
No matter how strict you are with food, exercise, meds, it seems there is always going to be surprises in your test results, your glucose levels, in all of it. The trick is just to keep right on going, doing the best you can. Good luck with managing your lifestyle!

a big hahahaha… lol …to ‘ending with the whole wheat muffin I ate for bf’ I know just what you mean… we all need a mental health guy…

Tim, agreat blog thanks for the reality kick; I like you thought I was on my own for years, but now I now I’m not :o)