The 2 hour question

Thanks, I have learned about the foods, and the metabollsm of the food. based on both the fat content, and by the type of food. I I had to learn it for the pump. and it helps logically to set your insulin for the speed of digestion. That is a logical reason for dual wave (hehehehe). your statement is one of the reasons I asked the question.

I maintain a very low carb way of eating and as a result will usually not see much of a change in BG 2 hours after eating.

3-8 hours after, now thatā€™s a different story. Iā€™m still in the process of figuring this part out.
For high protein high fat meals, I most definitely have to either split my bolus (the equivalent of a dual/square wave on a pump) or depending on BG level before the meal, eat first, wait an hour or two and then correct. Iā€™m still debating if I should actually use R insulin for some meals.

I also correct almost every time I go over 110 (unless if I know itā€™s already trending down or already have IOB, as my goal is to stay within a very tight range.

oh yes, the basal is 4 units up and down right now. the frustrating thing is that some months it happens and others it doesnt. i just love the excitement and surprisesā€¦:unamused:

is you daughter mortified your announcement in cyberspace? haha

1 Like

My cyberspace announcement is, Iā€™m quite sure, at least partly motivated by my perceived need to be a bit of a passive-aggressive beotch in response to my daughterā€™s rabidly nasty and hurtful attitude of late. If and when she decides to finally join this wonderful Forum and she reads my post, I am certain that I will wake up dead the following morningā€¦

3 Likes

My Dr wants to see me below 140.

Iā€™m intrigued by the comments regarding BG levels before and after menstruating. I was just diagnosed with D last September (2015) and am Type 1. Iā€™ve battled fibromyalgia for the last 10 years. Iā€™ve been to my Dr over and over for it - the only way it manifested itself was with terrible nerve pain in my arms and legs. It had a very specific cycle in that 2 days before my period it would all but disappear and my body would be at rest. It would gradually rear its ugly head again, peaking for the two weeks before my period and the cycle would go onā€¦ It also didnā€™t follow the typical fibromyalgia symptoms, in that, I felt much better in the morning upon waking (typically fibromyalgia sufferers feel terrible in the morning). I have never been convinced that I had/have fibromyalgia. It just didnā€™t add up for me. HOWEVER, with this D diagnosis and getting my blood sugars under control, I am pain free!!! Its like a total silence has washed over the nerves in my arms and legs. Its so wonderful. So, Iā€™ve been wondering if all this time Iā€™ve had D and have been honeymooning. My BG was probably lowest in the morning which is why I felt better in the morning and now Iā€™m wondering if my BG fluctuations due to my menstrual cycle were a culprit too! Iā€™m SO MAD that Iā€™ve been dealing with this pain for 10 years - constant pain changed who I am. Weirdly, Iā€™m a little thankful I have D and no pain. Iā€™m hopeful that the pain stays away for good!!

Maybe I should put this on a post of its own. Wondering if anyone has a similar story.

1 Like

I am also T1, but I need at least 4 hrs to fully process the meal / humalog relation, and as long as i have counted my carbs correctly, Iā€™m back to 100, after 4 hrsā€¦ I also prick (every 4hrs)ā€¦ I had the Dexcom G4 and it worked fine and warned me on highs and lows, but after the upgrade to the G5, the numbers were so off, I have stopped using it, b/c I couldnā€™t trust the numbersā€¦ and I know itā€™s a different measurement vs blood, but the G4 algorithm was much more accurateā€¦Iā€™m on the Tandem t:slim pump (love it) and keeps my A1C around 6.2ā€¦ carb counting is keyā€¦ I think post 2 hrs is ok, iā€™ve tried it, but if your on a syringe, you can over correctā€¦ with a pump, itā€™s easier, b/c it accounts for the insulin on boardā€¦ Good Luck

1 Like