The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced that they are issuing billing codes for continuous glucose monitoring technology

CMS Issues Billing Codes for CGM
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced that they are issuing billing codes for continuous glucose monitoring technology. The billing codes will be used by public and private health plans to facilitate claims processing and payment for CGM technology. The codes issued by CMS for this technology are: A9276 for the sensor, A9277 for the transmitter, and A9278 for the receiver. The codes are available for use beginning on January 1, 2008. JDRF strongly advocated for billing codes for continuous glucose monitoring technology and wrote letters in support of issuing the billing codes in 2006 and 2007.

Thanks for this info, Cody. From my dealings with UHC and the Omnipod folks, I can tell you that the “A” codes are for “disposable” items, which are unfortunately not covered by some plans. In my case, the Omnipod PDM had an “E” code and qualified as a covered insulin pump but since the actual pods were disposable and classified as an “A” (A9274) item, they weren’t going to cover them at all. And we all know that the PDM’s nothing more than a glorified meter without the pods! (Fortunately they’ve rectified that and have agreed to cover both for me.) It’s great to see that the CGM items are gaining acceptance and are at least being coded. I just wanted to put out a warning that just because they’re in the insurance system so to speak, doesn’t mean they’ll be covered.

Are CGM’s compatiple with all pump or just the minimed?

I pulled this information off of JDRF’s website. That is all they said about them.