The day after

This is so over whelming. Almost overnight, I have gone from eating what ever and not thinking twice to having to limit myself to 180g of carbs a day.

Morning is the worst for me. I get up and rush through getting ready. Then I have to get my baby girl ready for day care. Then WOOSH…out the door as fast as we can to get her to day care and me to work on time. I hardly ever eat breakfast. Much less a good breakfast. I know…I know. It’s the most important meal of the day.

Well I got up a little early this morning. I checked my BGs. 235 (a lot better then the 600 of yesterday) I made a couple of pieces of wheat toast. Thought I was doing ok till I got to work. I started feeling a little off so I checked my BGs again and BAM…406. ugggghhhh

What am I doing wrong? Are am I doing anything wrong? Is it normal to get spikes like this? Is it just something I have to get used to?

PS. My meter is blue and silver, which works at well since I am a Cowboys fan.

My suggestion would be to try a lower-carb option for breakfast, like eggs with vegetables.

Try to eat some protein when eating carbs.

I agree with Sarah. The unfortunate thing is that most diabetics are told to eat too many grams of carbs from the outset. Problem is that diabetics don’t NEED carbs, especially in the amounts usually prescribed.

This came about because the whole system is based on a mistake, where it was declared many years ago (starting in 1943) that ANY cholesterol is bad for the heart. Once it was taken up by politicians it was looked at as policy, which is wrong.The original study found that only a FEW people have this problem, but it was twisted by media and politicians to include all, dspite the clear limit put on it in the research.

Anyway, diabetics also have a different problem with breakfast because we tend to be most insulin resistant then, and that means carbs need to be greatly reduced, perhaps avoided entirely, for breakfast. Toast, even wheat toast, is what gave you the bg spike after breakfast. It would be best to eat a fair amount of protein and fat instead, and make carbs no more than minor trim, if any.

Try balance nutrients intake of lower carbs with protein and veggies. Sometimes drinking water helps.

Thanks for the advice. I have been drinking water since I got into work and it seems to be helping. Tested again and I’ve gone down about 50 on my BGs, so it’s dropping.

First, it is not “normal” to have spikes. Well, it’s “normal” for people with diabetes who aren’t adequately treating their condition. But it’s definitely not good for you. Sure, a number in the 300s or 400s once a month is livable. But daily numbers in that range? Something’s gotta change (for the better).

Sometimes type 2s who have very high A1Cs and bg numbers in the 300s need insulin immediately to get the bg numbers down. Sometimes then, with weight loss, an eating plan, and daily exercise, they can go off insulin (at least for a while) and stick with an oral med or two or three.

Bg numbers lower than 300 can sometimes be decreased by methods mentioned in other posts: moderating carbs, drinking water, exercising. But numbers over 300 are very difficult to bring down without medicine. Especially consistent 300s.

As long as people are able to maintain lifestyle changes and as long as their beta cells are still producing insulin, the low- or no-meds routine may work for many years. However, by the time of diagnosis, many type 2s have lost at least half of their insulin production. It continues to dwindle over time. So other orals meds and blood glucose-lower injectables (insulin is the best known, also Byetta) need to be introduced. Even if you eat no carbs, protein is still converted partially to glucose and can increase blood glucose.

Some people try to avoid the additional meds and concentrate on carb reduction. If this works for them, great. But low carb eating (under 130 gram total per day from carb sources) is not always possible or even necessary to achieve on-target control (and I mean control of bg, blood pressure, and blood lipids–all important factors for preventing, delaying, and minimizing complications).

Please discuss with your health care provider. Your numbers may be high enough that you need a bit more medicine to help you tighten control. Tight control in the first few years of type 2 diagnosis has long-range positive effects in helping avoid complications.

Those highs you describe are no fun and must mean you don’t feel so great. Some additional meds may help you achieve better numbers immediately. Which, in turn, makes it easier to make smart choices and actually feel physically OK. We’ll be rooting for you, even those of us who don’t favor the Cowboys.