The Downside of the IPhone and G5

“The phone is way more prone to dropping the connection than the receiver is, also.”

I really like the idea of one less device because I’e got phones, an iPad, a computer, a blood sugar monitor, battery packs, etc. . .but I am noticing that the G5 with phone only is (very) unreliable. NOT HAPPY with that. Yesterday my G5 (with iPhone only) went offline for about 13 hours and when I checked my sugar manually it was 500!!

So I need to either find my G4 receiver and update it, or wait for my G5 receiver to arrive in a few days/weeks.

What’s the point of making something ‘one less device’ if the primary system (having the iPhone be the receiver) isn’t that reliable??? Arrrggggg…

I dont have an iphone waiting for the android app. My wife has an iPhone 6plus and i have her set up as receiver. I did this basically so she can see BG when i am around her. She does show me constantly that it loss signal. Usually i am right next to her when it does. Hopefully the android app is more reliable when it comes out.

Hi Laddie. Really good idea to bring the receiver…I just spent 10 days in an area with no cell phone access and far away from people. I brought an extra old pump, but didn’t think to bring the receiver. No problems, but I feel lucky.

Here’s my question. I have been thinking ever since my first experience w pump malfunction and shooting sugars that it might be good to be on Lantus. When I hit really high sugars, it takes so long to bring them back down, and I feel so darn uncomfortable…I have been on the pump for maybe 12 years and have never heard of someone on lantus at the same time. Can you tell me more? What brought you round to that? I got t1 at 11, am 58; and have an okay not great A1C of around 7.3…mostly due to the human spirit and not being a great techie type person or very well self disciplined. Thank you for your thoughts…Kim

@Kimball1 I created a new topic to talk about using Lantus along with a pump. In the topic I give a link to my latest blogpost about this regimen which is called the “untethered regimen.”

Let me know if you have any questions. I have experimented with this in the past, but right now I have been doing it full time for a couple of months and don’t envision quitting.

TuDiabetes is filled with a lot of posts now about people experimenting with new insulins or ways of delivering insulin: Afrezza, Troujeo, etc. There is no doubt that all of us are always looking for easier and better ways to control the diabetes monster:-)

1 Like

Laddie., thank you for the wealth of info. I just started on a different pump than one I have been on for many years and in the past year have shifted to a diet of lower carb. The untethered approach feels right for me. I have a great doctor who I think will be up for trying this. Im excited! Diabetes has been such a relentless lesson in learning how to nudge myself toward greater compliance and in accepting the humanness of never getting to be perfect. Looking forward to more of your blogs. Kim

1 Like

Hi All, as a Medicare T1D, I have found the need for good stats to be critical to successfully navigating Medicare rules,
I carry both an iPhone and a Dexcom receiver. Also, due to my insulin of over 60+, I still find myself testing over 10 times with bg strips. Now, here is the new ruling, I need to supply to the local pharmacist a 30 day log whenever my prescription for strips is renewed. My stat data is filed with Glooko-diasend. When one has an insulin pump, we are required to visit a doc, my case an endo every 90 days. Now, how is this monitored. The Medical supply houses which are used ask of the date of my last endo visit for pump supplies, OR they will modify the price. This has become a fight over the need to supply statistical data to support our claims, Hope this helps and as always have a great day. Dan

Hi Dan-

Although I only saw my endo twice a year prior to Medicare, I see her every 3 months now in order to get pump supplies. I never know exactly what reports she needs to authorize pump and Dexcom supplies, but I always take a 30-day BG log, my insulin pump settings, and a couple of CGM reports.

Are you using a Medtronic pump and sensors or have you switched to Dexcom? With the Dexcom G5, I absolutely do not need to test 10 times a day. The first 24-36 hours of a sensor require a lot of meter tests (6-8), but after that I do fine with 3-4 a day. My Medicare bundle with Dexcom gives me 4-5 sensors per month along with 150 tests strips (5 per day). That works very well for me.

I use Diasend to produce my BG log. What is nice is that I can check the box saying to use manual entries. What that does is incorporate Dexcom readings that I input into my Tandem pump for corrections and meal boluses. So this report always shows me testing 6-9 times a day and I never have to worry about falling below the 4 per day required for pump supplies.

Because I am receiving Contour strips as part of my CGM bundle from Dexcom, my Freestyle strips from Walgreens have been denied. So with Basic Medicare and a supplement, I am not sure that I would be able to combine CGM coverage with 10 meter strips per day. I also wonder what will happen to test strip coverage when Medicare approves the Dexcom G6 which advertises that no calibration is needed. All I know is that CGM supplies are a lot more expensive than test strips and if Medicare stops covering test strips for me, I will experiment with the Relion strips from Walmart which are very affordable and reasonably cheap.

After being on Medicare for almost a year and a half, I am doing fine with test strips and CGM supplies. I usually change infusion sets every 2 days and have to fight to get the required number of sets. My DME suppliers seem to change the rules every 90 days and my endo has to submit forms over and over again. Walgreens does a good job of providing my Part B insulin every 3 months.

So far I have been able to get what I need without resorting to Medicare appeals. You are probably right that I would need lots and lots of data to win an appeal.