The endo search

Lol he has no idea how lucky he is. I was at the ER the night before until around 1am. My 2 year old grandson tried to break a coffee table with his head. He was fine, but I was running on 3 hours sleep & a 4+ hour drive. My brain was mush. Between slowed reaction time & total shock, my temper didn’t quite make it to the boiling point.

@MarieB, I was wrong. I changed the search criteria to a 200 mile radius & got results for Lubbock. Unfortunately, 1 is a ped endo (actually the same practice my daughter went to at dx) out of network, & the other is also out of network. There were 8 total including other cities, none in network.

1 Like

Not over-reacting.

I good idea for pump users in any situation though - not just for ones with grabby endo’s - is to have a copy of all your settings. So you could get them all back in a situation like that, or if your pump dies and needs to be replaced or whatever.

2 Likes

No, I’ve never had any of my endos, good or bad, do such a thing. That doc needs a lesson in proper patient care and bedside manner.

2 Likes

I keep a notebook with all the settings. It gets updated anytime we make changes so it’s always current. We’ve been burned before with a pump death. Won’t happen again.

1 Like

If that had happened to me, I think after he handed the pump back to me, I would have said to the endo, “Now…watch this…” and then showed him how the reset button could reset the pump entirely back to it’s native state that requires re-doing all the settings from square one. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ll try to remember that. Hopefully we won’t need it but considering our luck so far…:grin:

1 Like

Not sure about other upload sites, but Diasend/Glooko updates all your pump settings every time you upload. They’re found under Insulin > Pump Settings.

6 Likes

I think I would do it differently. I’d disconnect the infusion set, then hand him back the pump and say, “OK. Now put the settings back the way they were.” And wait…

2 Likes

here’s another “find an endo” locator from the endocrine society

good luck!

1 Like

My current endo shows up on that list Marie! (not my original one, though. Curious…)

I know kinda how you feel. Even though i am not in a very rural area, the closest endo is 30 minutes away. That would be great if it wasn’t for the fact they are absolutely HORRIBLE. Everyone from the front desk receptionist to the doctors had complete disrespect, the doctor/Nurse Practitioner practically yelled at me, and then after that they tried to push a different pump on me because they didn’t know how to work the one I had…Like I could just go drop 10k on a new one at will. And after all that they didn’t even give me any actual medical care.

I ended up going to one an hour away who, while not perfect by any means, is a heck of a lot better. The next closest would be 2 hours away, and I am already pretty well established with this one. He fills my scripts and adjusts things as necessary, and while his attitude isn’t the greatest ever, it isn’t horrid either.

2 Likes

I’m not sure about this one, but the AACE search doesn’t list even half the practicing endos in Lubbock. I think it may be that few endos there are AACE members.

I’m not sure if I can help because things are done so differently in Canada.

First of all, does her pump have software so you can upload numbers and get management advice via the program?

Secondly, most hospitals here have diabetes clinics. If you could get in touch with one, they might know the endos in the area. The clinics also offer sessions with a nurse and dietician. This is where I get most of my practical advice. They have access to my uploaded pump info. I’m thinking if distance is a problem, maybe there’s a professional that you could e-mail your stats to and consult that way.

I personally think that if you have a good doc, you don’t need an endo.

I have the opposite problem. I have a “5” endo and can’t find a competent doctor. This stuff is frustrating enough without having the support from your medical team.

Don’t give up!

I know I refused to go back to my first endo after 2 visits (he was a jerk and wanted me back on medications that had made me sick before) . It turns out I was a Type 1 and I had even asked him about being a Type 1 as I had an uncle that was. He just said I wasn’t each time I saw him. My Dr at the time didn’t know that much about Diabetes,. So I switched to an Internist who helped a lot more and prescribed what I needed.

As soon as our group hired a new endo my internist sent me to her right away. The first thing she did was test me for Type 1, which it turns out I am. She has been the best!!! She gives input and suggestions and explains why. She listens to what you say and has not ever judged what I have done, she just will give a suggestion to make it better.

A wonderful Endo that is extremely helpful when needed. It sounds like I hit the jackpot!!!

By the way, at least once you have a good endo they will teach you the tools you need to help control your BG levels…

1 Like

Been there, done that! SO always keep a record of the pump settings you have that are working for you so you can change them back. I had an Endo take my pump change the settings and I couldn’t get below 150! Anyway, I changed bac to where I had them. Can you call yor pump and CGM rep to get names of HCP’s that are familiar with thew devices? AND IF YOU ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT YOUR PUMP AND cgm, YOUR pcp SHOULD BE ABLE TO RENEW THE rX FOR THEM UNTIL YOU DO GET WITH AN eNDO OR INTERNIST YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH. (oopds hit the caps key, sorry)