The first shock!

How do you regain from the news that you will never ever be able to eat what you want? It’s nearly ok when you are in your late thirties, but devastating to a 11 year old boy. But I was lucky. Cousin of mine was studying to be a doctor and he was living with us at the same time I got sick. I stopped eating, womited some dark slime and drank tons of water. Two weeks later he got suspicious and drove me to the Diabetes ward at the national hostpital. The doctor told me to breath towards him and immediately sent me to the intensive care at the hostpital. There I lay for two weeks.

The problem is that when you are young adult, diagnosed with Diabetes, you tend to reject your illness. And that’s what I did. And for almost twenty years I lived in some blissful ignorance of it. Of course it was always there, in the morning and the evening shots (two times a day was the norm) but every other activity was made as if I was normal. Total rejection.

We do need wakeup call every once and again. Diabetic Retinopathy bleeding did this to me. One evening I was waching the TV and suddenly some red cloud appeard before my left eye. I paniked and called the hospital.
After the exam (by a very cute doctor) she announced that I indeed had a retinal bleeding.
Iceland is leading when it comes to preventive Diabetic relative eye diseases so I already had some laser treatment. I got some more and got treated by a very good doctor. This was at the same time that i decided to start to control my illness in a responsible way.

I can relate to your experience, I think many kids go through the same thing. BTW, I have almost visited Iceland 3 times (I went to Keflavik Airport en route to Stockholm), and keep saying the next time, I plan to stay a day or more!

You should stay for some time. A pleasant experience for shure.

Hi Johann,
I have a question fir you that may seem dumb as rain buthave tyou too taken a vacation from the pump or were you ever on it and one more that is probly the stuipeds of all do they have the pumps in Iceland

Scott, you should definitely stay more than a few hours here. This summer has been very good (second hottest july ever) I would recommend that you started by visiting the blue lagoon (as in when you get off the plane). Lately this seems more and more like a tourist trap but It is rather pleasant to swim there ten (fifteen) minutes after you get out of the air terminal (It’s on the way to Reykjavik).

Hi Doris
I have never used the pumps. A lot of us are switching to this kind of dose measurement, and those I talk to say they will never turn back, but the thought of having rubber tube permanently attached to my stomach is something I don’t know I would like. The newer pumps have remote connections (bluetooth or IR) with a blood sugar measurement that is attached near the pump. this seems like a good idea for tighter control, but the cost is rather high (at least here in Iceland). The pumps are free, but the tubes and blood sugar measures are not.