The freak-out zone?

I get anxious at 135. I have full-blown panic attacks at 200. But I’m an extreme. (You can be in the 500s and feel fine; I can be in the 40s and feel fine.) I think it really depends on the person. (Obviously, I shouldn’t be in the 40s and you shouldn’t be in the 500s, but since our bodies are more used to it, we can deal. If I were ever in the 500s, I’d probably be passed out from DKA; if you were ever in the 40s, you’d probably have a seizure.)

Anyway, it seems it’s easier for most (not all; don’t attack me) type 2s to manage their blood sugars, and they don’t go high nearly as often, so I wouldn’t pay as much attention to what she said. You probably should give yourself insulin or exercise or soemthing when you’re 180 (if you’re not going down), but I’d be more worried about being in the 250s.

You are so right on Domo!

Not to be ugly, but John those kind of comments aren’t appropriate and just end up pushing someone away.

I don’t see a cry for help as much as I see an honest question directed to the community.

For the majority of the time, we all have to deal with this on our own. It doesn’t matter who supports me, I know that at the end of the day it’s my decision to take control and support myself. Sometimes, especially with teens, the constant concern from those closest to us can make us rebel and go into even worse control.

John, I can respect the fact that you are in therapy…but since that is the case, I doubt that you have the qualifications to offer therapy to others. Leave that to the professionals, or at the very least, those of us that actually want to offer real support.

I agree with the others Paige:

(1) I’m glad that you are back! I find that in my struggles with diabetes, I need to convince myself to manage my diabetes daily. So you have to keep at it and don’t give up. You can and will get your numbers under control. Don’t give up on yourself. Ever.

(2) I freak out around 250. (Freak out means that I saw OOPS what happened) BUT for me, if I am high and I don’t know why, this bothers me than when I am high and I KNOW why (and it tasted good!!).

(3) I have a hard time reading messages from members who can’t figure out why they woke up at 130 mg/dl = 7.2 mmol/L?!? When I would be happy with this number. But I try to remind myself the types of struggles that we face with our diabetes are different for each person.

Honestly, I wish that all teenage girls who are struggling with diabetes could be as open and honest as you, Paige. You are not alone… and who knows? Maybe someone out there is reading your words and feeling encouraged that they are not alone. I know SEVERAL members who spent their teenage years with A1c’s above 10, and they were able to get their A1c’s to AWESOME levels. And you can too!!! Just take it one step at a time.

We are here for you-- every step of the way! When you fall down, get up again! If you can’t get up, we’re here to pick you up!

Test your blood sugars-- and as Dino taught me-- DON’T feel like you are being graded. Your blood sugar is JUST a number that can help you know what to do next. Use it to help you, don’t judge.

I just measured in at 279 mg/dl = 15.5 mmol/L. I know that I’m high cause I ate dinner out and guessed the carbs (and it was very good!). So I am not freaking out. Not at all actually. What do I do when I am high? I use the information to calculate a correction bolus. And I try not to feel upset about it (Dino-- aren’t you proud???)

openly admits it??? I’ll freaking openly admit that i do not have insurance and therefore do not even have a proper doctor to help me make decisions about my insulin. Why not? Hell i go weeks without checking my sugar, is that a cry for help? No because nobody and I wasn’t asking for your help. You have to remember that even though we may be putting ourselves at risk we’re not STUPID, we know what we’re doing and guess what that’s my choice and not yours. You really don’t want to know my sugars, but then again i’m sure you really wouldn’t want to know my background and reasons for what i do. I won’t bore you but i won’t sit here and let you continue in your insenstivity. If i have learned ANYTHING it’s that self motivation is the key to this disease, but that doesn’t mean it can be solved in a day.You say your understand but i can tell you don’t, get off your pesdetal. there is no such thing as a perfect diabetic, just as there is no such thing as a perfect human being.

Kristin…when you smile, I smile.

I don’t freak out necessarily except when I see numbers over 300, which is rare but does happen once in a while. However, I do every bit I can to try to not let my numbers exceed 140-150, my goal being 100-120.

So, freaked out? I don’t think you should be (this sounded like Yoda… sorry). Concerned about sustained numbers over 180? Yes. How to deal with them? I think numerous comments in the topic have provided you with excellent advice.

Have you considered getting a CGM? Perhaps seeing the trand of your BG levels could help you take action before they reach very high levels. I am starting on a Dexcom next week. If you want to see how the experience of other CGM users is like, check out the CGM users group:
http://tudiabetes.com/group/cgmusers

Hope this helps,

Paige,

I got a big smile on my face reading your description of people so concerned about 182. That sort of thing is hard for me because I want to say something like “you think THAT’S high?!?!” but since that’s not helpful to anyone, I don’t. Thanks for saying it out loud. :slight_smile:

I get worried (wouldn’t say “freaked out”) when I’m over 250 and I’m not sure why.

I’ve also gone through several stretches of not taking good care of myself and then beating myself up even more for having “bad” A1Cs. Two things have helped me get out of those places:

First, remembering that each day is a fresh start. It doesn’t matter how many times (or if!) I checked my blood sugar yesterday. It only matters what I do today.

Second, getting on an insulin pump. I wasn’t interested in them until I saw the OmniPod and starting using it a year ago. I can honestly say that it’s changed my life. For me, it’s lived up to its slogan “making diabetes a smaller part of life.” I’m not nearly as emotional about my glucose numbers because they are just data for the machine. “YOU figure it out” is the way I feel about it.

I still have bad days when I’d just as soon forget that I have diabetes. I get frustrated and feel very alone – even though I have a supportive boyfriend and a great medical support team. It just plain old sucks to have diabetes. And it’s unfair to boot!

I’m really glad that you posted here and hope that you’ll keep coming back. There’s nothing you can “confess” here that someone else hasn’t done, too. Talking about our experiences keeps shame out of the picture, at least for me. We’re all in this together!

Janet

I’m a type 1 with a great A1c (finally!!!) and try to stay under 140 all the time. It’s acheivable, just hard!

I’m one of those former teens, Paige. I spent my first decade of diabetes with A1c’s in the 12s, 13s, even 1 time at 15.4. You have all kinds of stress hormones that make you go even higher than you would normally go. Being a teenage diabetic is hell. But I have had A1c’s below 9 for my whole adult life and below 7 for the past year and a half. Turning 30 this year and “feel high” above 150, whereas on my 13th birthday, my pre-cake blood sugar was 503! You will eventually get control. I’m confident that you will. It’s just difficult! But if it’s any consolation, most teen diabetics survive these hell years and go on to live healthy adult lives…or so I hear. ;). I’m thankful to be very healthy and, as yet, complication free. Keep venting, Paige. We’re listening. Oh, and go test. :slight_smile:

Getting back in control after ignoring the reality of Type 1 for a significant amount of time is a lot like when you have a fight with your girlfriend and you don’t call her for a couple of days, and now you don’t know how to go about actually making contact with her because you’re already so far “in the hole”. Making contact will force you to confront all sorts of unpleasantness and it is very human to want to avoid that sort of thing.

I honestly don’t know how I moved from being where you are to maintaining tight control now. I think I got sick of the anxiety and depression it was causing me to be in that state. Lacking those emotions, I don’t know what could motivate you to do what you need to do. I do hope you find it though, because being in control is very liberating on many levels.

right on

John, you have to remember that denial is one of the strongest defense mechanisms we have. Denial’s partners often are guilt and shame so being “tough” on someone just complicates the issue more and can cause a lack of motivation for change. To me I see that Paige is trying to break the shackles of denial by being honest with herself. She is opening herself up to others, hoping for support. This is often the hardest thing to do, I know because it took me years to get to where Paige is now.

That being said, congrats on working on your stuff in therapy. I actually am a therapist and some of the clients I work with who have the hardest time are diabetics. There are so many emotional factors with diabetes as well as biological factors that predispose us to depression and other mental disorders.

I think it’s ok to be post meal 180 for a very short time (very short) I try not to go over 140-150 post meal but I bottom out to 50’s maybe 2 or 3 times a day which is not to good either. I figure rather eat something litte and be low than high.

Cant say I really freak out, but I do try to keep it between the lines most of the time. For me crazy high numbers (300+) are due to intermittant lapses in judgement, random forces of the universe, illness or quicksets. I solved the problem with the infusion sets and am working on the the issues with “lapses in judgement”. As for the universe…I leave that to its own devices…and pay no mind to its occasional wonkyness.

Sadly, a BIG red flag doesn’t pop up until about 400.

A normal red flag at like, 300.

and a tiny “hey maybe you should take a little insulin” flag at 250.

sad, but true. :frowning:

I can’t tell you all how helpful these (most, anyway… the ones that actually answered the question) posts have been. When V was in hospital for his check-up his Bg was over 300 for over a day - and all they said was don’t worry, you’re in the hospital.
That was so opposed to what I’d been reading.
All of your comments gave me a big dose of reality.
300’s happen, we’ll be more agressive and careful - and a little panic never hurt.
200’s happen, we’ll correct and try to figure it out.
Anything (high’s) under 160 we’ll be very happy with for now.
We’ll start accepting 80 as good instead of as a low (he got hypo at 80 initially).
We’ll learn…
Thanks

Worry will kill you… you can only fight what is right in front of you, today, now. Not a month from now, not 5 years from now. Cope with the NOW, it is enough to handle !!!

Other stuff is too big to struggle with.

Red flag not too many of them anymore. Low/high is the same problem on different ends of the line. All numbers. Highs after exercise can be because you bottomed out during it and when you got to the reading a few hours later you spiked like a NASA rocket…
But anything less than ideal is very, very normal stuff. 250-300 is higher than you want, but takes time to teach it “obedience”, and determine the specific problem(s).

Any pattern(S) with/to the numbers you can detect???

Stuart

Why sad??? Very normal IME… I don’t like it anymore than anybody else but they don’t wind me up too much, if I can prevent the emotions.