The gastric bypass process in Ontario (roux-en-y)

Thanks for your comments. I believe that medicine will discover less invasive methods of achieving remission in type 2, but at 56, I wasn’t prepared to wait for it. LIfe is short, and I wanted better quality of life at the end part. I think you have a good realistic approach to your situation, and wish you the best of luck with the great battle.

This has been a fascinating discussion to follow! Thanks to all of you for such important information. I am type1 for 42 years and on a insulin pump. I am not overweight, but I know so many type 2s in my church and communiuty ( I am African american) that are obese. Some try so hard to stay in control and eat right, they literally eat like rabbits, just lettuce and carrots and boiled eggs, and they are still very overweight . Others are obese and have given up trying to control their diabetes with the tools the doctors have given them,as they had such limited success following a restricted lifestyle.; It is sooo sad!!! So many complicastions aand bad health and wasting away.

I wish this type of surgery was more avilaboe to ttype 2’s in the US.

I have one type 2 friend who underwent bariatric surgery ( she has great insurance), I do not know the type of surgery she had. Any way she went into remission of her/type 2 diabetes, lost 85 pounds, and is beautiful, looks 38 and she is 58. She remarried and is active on a women’s softball league, helps to raise her grandkids, and goes on many vacations with her new hubbie…

So Grant I know how well others have done with such sugeries performed with INfORMED CONSENT AND DESIRE TO CHANGE. Congrats to you.

God Bless,
Brunetta

Thanks for your comments. I believe you made a valid distinction between type 1’s and type 2’s in terms of what they face day to day. Type 1 is quite different from type 2, they are only similar in that they involve blood sugars - so does Alzheimers (sp?). The Roux-en-Y surgery only helps type 2 as far as I know.

Thanks for your comments and words of encouragement. I absolutely agree with you that overeating and lack of exercise does not cause type 2 - this is a fact, not an opinion though conventional wisdom still calls type 2 a “lifestyle disease” - that is just bs. Overeating and getting no exercise certainly worsens the degree of type 2 and damage to the body, weight gain, circulation etc. Also, you can delay or reduce the onset of type 2 by keeping fit and eating well. Most people don’t appreciate these distinctions, and the result is condescending and judgmental attitudes towards type 2 as being lazy, fat people with no willpower. I got fed up with that attitude, especially from type 1’s who think they have the moral high road because they are helpless victims of genetics, not lazy overeating people! Certainly, RNYGB is not suitable for everyone by any means, but for many, it is very effective way of getting type 2 contained.

I would be interested in hearing about what happens in the process of going throught this procedure. I don’t think I would do it myself, but I am open to the idea that it could help others. And that makes it worth knowing about.

Good luck Grant on your choice.

"I got fed up with that attitude, especially from type 1’s who think they have the moral high road because they are helpless victims of genetics, not lazy overeating people! " said Grant.

I am so sorry you feel that some type ones have given you “attitude” and notions of superior moral fiber. This type `1 agrees with you that the two conditions are so very different.; and I do not think that either disease is easy to manage.My biggest problem has been with medical personnel who do not understand or know the difference, and I have to explain to to them so I can get proper treatment. Not bad if you are just talking to the receptionist while filling out paperwork or correcting a billing error; Critical mistakes can be made if you are in the hopital and the nursing staff is not aware of the differences in treatment for those of us who HAVE to have insulin. I had my insulin shots denied while I was in the hospital when I was soaring above 300( due to “diabetic” diet in the hospital that they said “every diabetic eats”")
Still, it is sad to me that you feel castigated and maligned by people in the medical AND diabetic community as well.

Glad to know that you are now doing so well with your health.

God Bless,
Brunetta

I appreciate your comments. I would also note that I’ve got a lot of that attitude from the Canadian Diabetes Assoc. staff and volunteers, who appear to be mostly type 1’s. I strongly feel that type 2 should have their own dedicated organization, outside of the CDA - and I have no vested interest in same anymore, as I feel like an ex-diabetic now.

I have blogged on the process quite a bit, on this website and on my own at: http://type2diabetestalk.blogspot.com/ - be forewarned that I use the occasional expletive on my blog site. Nice car, I’m a Ford guy, Cobras are the top!

Thanks again for sharing your personal experience, unhappy as it was makes it more painful. Your experiences though, are not unique I’m afraid. One thing that we can say with confidence about type 2 is that every patient is quite different, reacts differently to food, drugs, exercise, etc. but the stereotype of type 2 being self indulgent overeating fat lazy people still prevails.

Yes, I’ve had the surgery, on April 23, and my wife says its like I’m suddenly 20 yrs. younger! Yes, parts of the process were tough, there are trade-offs, there are compliance steps, limitations, etc. but for me, it has been a huge “WOW!, pinch me, is this a dream?”

As to meds etc, keep up your education on the web, there’s lots of good new info once you get past the freaks trying to sell these bogus natural remedies for everything from cancer to bunions.

BTW, I still test pretty well every other day to ensure I’m still on track, keep me honest, though I don’t think sugar affects me the same way anyhow. Small portions, very little carbs, no binges, and whatever exercise I can muster (usually with my 14 mo. old golden monster, Gracie).

I read many items from your blog, Grant… U R an activist for type 2’s and I do think it is needed!!!So many people I know with type two are too passive and will not speak up and ask for proper care and respect.
“Keep on doin’ whatcher doin’!!”

God Bless,
Brunetta

This is the decision I have made:

I am going to try and stay the course. I have to lose 100 lbs in two years, a pound a week. Its been nine weeks since diagnosis and I have lost 15 lbs. So I am on schedule, a little ahead actually.

I am going in a week or two to talk to a surgeon about the roux. Information.

But my plan is to stay my course. Lose a pound a week while keeping my BG down. 100 lbs or bust. 15 down, 85 to go. And my BG is rarely above 130. So far so good. Perhaps I am trying to walk to the moon and am crowing at getting up the stairs. I don’t know. I don’t know what I am capable of.

The roux will be my back up plan. If I prove to myself I cannot keep the BG down and/or can’t lose the weight, then the roux is there to save my life. But there are risks, and I want to KNOW that I am not going to be able to control things with meds, diet, and exercise, before I do it. I want to know that I tried.

So its still an option, but one I hope I don’t need. More than hope. Its an option I am going to try my best not to need.