The Gift of Knowledge

The Gift of Knowledge

This is the third of three blogs exploring the gifts we receive as members of our TUdiabetes.org community. In this season when we give and receive gifts, I want to explore the gifts we receive because of membership in this community. The third gift I want to discuss is the gift of knowledge.

Knowledge is defined in part as:

1. “The fact of knowing something with familiarity gained through expirence
2. Acquaintance with or understanding of a science, art, or technique
3. The fact or condition of being aware of something ” (“Knowledge,” 2014).

Who can deny that TUDiabetes is a place where we get the gift of knowledge? I wager no one who reads this blog. Knowledge is such a transitory thing. When I was diagnosed, we had no notion of carb counting. Today it is the backbone of diabetes education. I wager almost all diabetics diagnosed at last 10 years ago, were told something at the time of diagnosis that we no longer accept as being state of the art knowledge about diabetes care.

In 2007 the following statement was published:

“For all the improvements, pumps have never become more than a niche product. In the US, only about 21 percent of type 1 patients use a pump, according to Diabetes Care, and very few insulin-dependent type 2 patients wear one. The numbers are even worse abroad: in the United Kingdom and in Denmark, for example, pumps are worn by about one to two percent of type 1 patients” (Trecroci & Close, 2007).

In 2013, the following statement was published by a respected UK diabetes reporting service (FYI: GP means standard practitioner):

“7% of 247,500 people with type 1 diabetes in the UK use insulin pumps, according to an audit backed by diabetes charities” (Robinson, 2013). If you are counting, that is at least a 2 fold increase in pump users in the UK in 6 years, a country which both articles say lags significantly behind other countries of the world with regard to pump adoption. Wow, talk about rapidly changing knowledge about a discussion pumps. Incidentally, pumps were not even in existence for most diabetics in 1974 when I was diagnosed.

So, where do you get knowledge about the rapidly changing environment of Diabetes? I go to TUDiabetes. No one understands it better than our members and if one wants to know about an issue simply post a question, I can almost guarantee someone has experience with the issue. This holds true for every criteria that is expressed by the term knowledge. This site, with its crowd based responses, can provide reliable answers about practical user experiences with all things diabetic.

We gained this knowledge largely through our combined experiences. True my experience is only mine. But with the combined crowd based knowledge we get on TUDiabetes, we get not just my experience, but also the experiences of the entire crowd.

This crowd sourced knowledge offered by TUDiabetes is so cool, it makes membership and participation valuable. Yes we have a community gift, the gift of knowledge and like the gifts of the crowd, and support, we are truly blessed. In this season of giving and getting gifts, I hope you will give thanks and support to this site so we can keep doing the gifts we are given.

References

Knowledge. (2014). The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Retrieved December 23, 2014, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knowledge

Robinson, S. (2013). UK ‘lags behind’ on insulin pump therapy. Retrieved December 23, 2014, from http://www.gponline.com/uk-lags-behind-insulin-pump-therapy/article/1182125

Trecroci, D., & Close, K. (2007). Pumping Insulin: New Technology May Spur Greater Acceptance Retrieved December 23, 2014

-30-

rick

When I first found TuDiabetes, I found the Gift of Knowledge that helped to save my life. I don't think that's an exaggeration; certainly the knowledge helped with my quality of life while living with Type 1 Diabetes. Some of those on TuD who shared their experiences and their knowledge became my friends--most certainly a Gift.