The holiday BLUES!

Many factors, including unrealistic expectations, financial pressures, and excessive commitments can cause stress and anxiety at holiday time. If you feel stressed or depressed seek help!

The title got me. I don’t like to admit that I absolutely HATE this time of year. It starts with Thanksgiving and goes through the New Year. It truly is unrealistic expectations, putting up decorations that just have to be taken back down, excessive commitments, financial pressure, stress, and anxiety all rolled together at the same time. I’d seek help, but there isn’t enough time and then that only adds more financial cost! I just can’t wait until it’s over and life goes back to normal!!

3 Likes

You are so right. There is a lot of financial pressure. What ever happened to being kind? People just aren’t anymore. Let’s face it. Type 1 diabetics cannot enjoy candy canes, chocolate, cheesecake etc. It is enough to just be alive. I am 49, had d since 22 months of age. Now I have a pump–but when I was a kid it was very hard. Anyone who needs to tell it like it is, please write back.

1 Like

Many years ago I realised that I don’t have to do all that the shops and media tell me I have to do at Christmas. I refuse to buy all the food I am told I need to buy. It was never eaten on the day and I had leftovers coming out of my ears. Some of the ‘traditional’ Christmas food I do not like so that went too. And since I have had diabetes a lot of other food has also disappeared from the Christmas menu. Do you know, the Christmas Police have never caught up with me! Yes, we have leftovers, but it is manageable. And when you think Christmas is celebrated so differently around the world, what are we doing to let ourselves be manipulated into believing what the media tell us?

5 Likes

Hi Pastelpainter. We’re going to break with tradition this year by having Chinese takeout on Christmas Eve, so no one will have to cook and it’s good food! Christmas Day will include a light meal with family. We received some edible gifts in the mail, and couldn’t wait to open most of them of course. We got a wild caught smoked Sockeye salmon, which will be New Year’s Eve dinner. Also received some snacks as gifts, including a box of pears. There’s a little snow on the ground now; I know this is different for you! Whatever the weather for us all–Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

4 Likes

I am older and have trimmed down the “ pressure”.I have a Christmas club for money for gifts, I have a few decorations of things I love. We have a 4 foot tree ,artificial,no major clean up. Covered in lights. In the den so we can enjoy it. I made a sugar free choc. Chip cookie,put in freezer . Take a couple out as wanted with tea. The plan is to last the week. I have sugar free drinks or got hot chocolate ,sf ,if we want something. I did eat some chocolate last week. No candy in the house. It is tough,but I decided to not keep up with the Jones’. I feel much better. Nancy

5 Likes

Well done ladies for bucking the trend. No laden trollies at the supermarket for us! My daughter is having a turkey and ham dinner with her in-laws in the evening, so we decided we are not going to have that sort of meal at midday. We have a cheese platter, we have made pate and have a chickpea and chorizo thingie. To go with this platter we have red wine and walnut bread and low carb cheese biscotti. There will also be salad and some pickled veggies and also tiramisu for dessert. A lot of the food is home made and tailored to suit me as much as possible.
It is fairly traditional here to have seafood for Christmas lunch (it will be 36C tomorrow), but my son in law is allergic to seafood, so what with his allergies and my diabetes our lunch has to be carefully planned.

3 Likes

@Pastelpainter your meal sounds delishes. If you lived close by id stop in! HaHa Merry Christmad

2 Likes

We quit exchanging gifts with close family quite a few years ago. Doing that is great for:

1. Saving a TON of money.
  2. Avoiding our very crowded mall parking-lot aggravations.
  3. Avoiding trying to figure out WHAT to buy someone, that they will actually like and use. Returning stuff sucks! Not having to smile politely when you get a useless, unwanted gift, when the giver is watching you open your gifts. THAT is stressful!
3 Likes

I got serious holiday blues right now. Came down with the good old influenza on Thursday night. Missed Christmas Eve with the family and kids tonight, and very likely missing presents in the morning (since I’m still running a fever and am likely contagious).

My mom did send mince pie home with my wife, so at least I got my once yearly taste of pure happiness and joy.

3 Likes

Get better quickly. No fun being sick at Christmas.

2 Likes