The initial loop findings are out

They came in a word doc. How do we post them?

If its a word document shouldn’t you be able to copy and paste.

In Word, save as a pdf file and that will upload to TuD. I’m not sure if copying from the Word file might handle the Word formatting & provide a less than desirable paste. You might have to re-establish paragraph breaks and any bolding or underlining. Pdf solves that uncertainty.

1 Like

http://publicfiles.jaeb.org/LOOP/Loop_Study_ATTD_2020_Lum_2020_02_16.pdf

1 Like

What do you guys make of this? I’m a little disappointed. They don’t say much. I would say that there is not any obvious improvement. What minor benefit they see might be attributable to study bias. I dont think this study is including a wide enough population of users. It all pretty well managed diabetics - who are unlikely to see much benefit anyway.

1 Like

I agree, I would have thought improvement would be more significant. Still, I know from my own experience Loop has helped me not so much as to reduce my a1c (which was already low), but to increase time in range and reduce standard deviation, as well as simplify BG management. I struggled to stay in range before Loop, now most days I’m 90+% TiR, and SD is under 20% which I could rarely achieve before Loop. Still not perfect by any means! My bad days are usually related to sensor change or bad pod absorption. Wish I could figure out how to resolve these issues!

1 Like

I was thinking that a lot of people that go to loop right now are people that are trying harder in the first place. So it might not bring as much benefit as those that might have A1C’s in the 8’s plus?.

But anyone on loop should have the benefit hopefully of some easier control.

I keep thinking about it and haven’t yet. I’m wondering if I need to make sure I’m on it before it’s a prescription and won’t aim for as low as I want with all the restrictions that might be put in play.

1 Like

Horizon sounds pretty good. The option to set the high and low thresholds along with the selectable bg target of anywhere between 110-150 is very cool.

The COO of Omnipod talked about Horizon in this podcast:

1 Like

Thank You @Thomas1 !

A little bit sad here because it doesn’t really seem like they are paying attention to the cost factor at least in the US and Canada. Dexcom doesn’t cost me anything with my insurance, but so many people can’t afford it because of the cost. I am wondering if it’s because it is actually a lot cheaper than they sell in the US anyways but it’s what they can charge here so they do.

And that cost factor here you know will only go up with the transmitter in the sensor, it will also make restarting harder unless you go through some ap that ends up figuring it out. Restarting makes it cheaper for a lot of people.

@Trying, yea, they didn’t address many qualitative things. I feel like it was very black and white assessment. Maybe that was the goal since they were first to publish.

@Marie20, there have been a couple of study’s published (I think possibly including the 2019 ADA standards) that say system automation is most likely to benefit people with a1c <8. For sure, I’ve seen people on the FB page who started around 9 - 12, so they saw HUGE benefit. Remarkable. But, there were not many study participants like that. Bummer. I think that’s who really, really benefits a lot.

The honest clinical benefit of moving one of us from a 6.something to a 5.something, isn’t nearly as significant.

2 Likes