The Joslin Medalist Study

I do think it is at least partly genetic. But you have no control over that. So you have to concentrate on the other part – best possible control. It was proven by the DCCT that good control reduces complications. And you DO have control over that, although it is a lot of work, and does not always work out as expected. I hate to be fatalistic, but diabetes is a case of you do your best, and then accept whatever happens. But when I think about it, all life is that way. Remember the Serenity Prayer: I pray for the courage to change what I can, the strength to accept what I can’t, and the wisdom to know the difference (or something like that). And meanwhile, I am grateful for the gift of life for your daughter (and all diabetics!), and I know you will keep on doing your best! :slight_smile:

Great reply Natalie!!!

Spring, your name is very popular at this time of year! I love Spring!! Lol!

The answers to your questions are part of what the Joslin Medalist Study is about. They are looking for the factor(s) that enable long life without complications. The Coordinator of the Study told me that there were participants “… that do not take care of themselves still manage to have no complications while others that do-might have complications.” They do recognize those individuals, but the majority of the participants have made it clear that they have worked hard to have good control.

I did very well during my 40 years before carb awareness. Good genes may be the reason for that, but there are other possible explanations. It would take pages to explore that here. I addressed this topic in my book. I think it was also a long discussion on another thread here on TuD.

Here is the link to my amazon.com page. You can click on the book there and read several parts of it. There are also 13 reviews on the page.

http://www.amazon.com/Beating-Odds-Years-Diabetes-Health/dp/1450515967/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268873383&sr=1-1