The Key for My Control - Diet and Exercise for Type 2 Diabetes

Diet And Exercise Control My Diabetes

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes February 4, 2003. I was very upset and lost about 26 pounds which was about 12 pounds more then I should have lost. I began testing on a daily basis and found that I could eat certain foods that did not elevate my glucose levels.

I gained back 12 more pounds and am now 14 pounds lighter then my original weight of 156 to 142. With Diet and Exercise alone I am managing my diabetes. I walk about 4 miles per day and recently have started weight exercises to build muscle and burn fat.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about having diabetes; however I am not obsessed with it as I was upon early diagnosis. You just have to plan your meals. My dietician upon diagnosis allows me 60 carbs per meal for three meals. I choose to eat less carbs and and include snacks in between. I use the 40/20 method that is 40 per meal and 20 for snacks. It works for me. I do not feel deprived of food and it allows me to have a smaller appetite for my main meals. I do have to work on eating breakfast. This is really an important meal for diabetics, since I have read that it boosts your metabolism for the entire day and sets the pace.

Do not get me wrong. I am no saint. I do cheat every so often. Once in a blue moon I will have an ice cream sundae with all the trimmings; and I am sure you have not seen many blue moons.

I will leave you with these words of wisdom “Either you control Diabetes or it controls you”.

David,

Few of us are saints. I sure am not. I write a great deal about the importance of tight control, and have become a bit known for that in the online community, but I think about it as much as I do because I need to be reminded just as much as anyone else and I have my share of days when I figure, "Heck I’m not going to live forever, one […] isn’t going to kill me.

I also have found that my control tends to oscillate. There are periods when it is very tight and periods when it is sloppier, and over the past 9 years they’ve pretty much alternated.

I do try to stay in the 5% A1c range, realistically the best I can do is mid-5% because my fasting bg is very tough to lower for reasons that most people don’t seem to have to deal with. (Crazy strong counterregulatory response no matter how long I keep good numbers.)

I treat excursions into the 6% range as a signal that I need to get more aggressive.

But honestly having seen my parents live to be FAR too old, outliving their minds, I will be happy if I get another 20 years out of this body with brain still functioning. And even if I don’t one great thing about being as old as I am now–59–is that whatever happens, I won’t feel cheated. I’ve had a very good life!

David…love your attitude…very inspiring. I am learning and trying and hope to be reporting better #'s this year.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.