The Magic of Book Buddies

This is Caleb...

"Book Buddies” is a program in my children’s school where older kids get paired up with younger kids and they spend time each week reading together. Lila is in kindergarten, Caleb is in 2nd grade and Colin is in 5th. Lila’s class is paired with a 4th grade class, which to her delight includes a certain love interest of hers, though she is not paired with him as boys are matched with boys and girls with girls.

Caleb knew his class was pairing with a 5th grade class and was disappointed to learn it wouldn’t be with his brother’s. Oh well.

It had been a more challenging than normal D week at school. I stopped by on Friday to pick up something PTO related, and bumped into the school nurse, Mrs. M. She did as she normally does – talked to me about Caleb’s day, encouraged me, told me how well he handles things – she’s such a blessing. She went on to tell me that something very exciting happened earlier in the day, but she wanted to let Caleb tell me. She described how absolutely ecstatic he was, describing his smile and elation. Whatever is was, it was big news, because she couldn’t say enough about how thrilled Caleb was. She let me guess and somehow I got close enough to force her to reveal the news. It brought me to tears. I’ll let Caleb tell you:

Watch the video of Caleb here.

After a fews days of emotional lows, this was a particularly poignant high. The moments when diabetes actually makes Caleb happy, and to this depth of happiness, are few. I cannot thank Caleb’s and David’s teachers enough for seeing this opportunity, seizing it and making this “Buddy” change. This will be one of those moments that I know will stick with me, and I’m pretty sure with Caleb as well.

As far as being disappointed about not being paired with his big brother, well that’s completely forgotten. He can read with Colin any old day.

Lo the video link on this page wasn’t working, but I went to your main blog and watched it…and Caleb was HILARIOUS :slight_smile: I’m really glad his teachers switched him around and put him with David. That’s awesome! I know I was diagnosed and grew up through middle school, high school, and most of college before I really met any other type 1’s…it definitely had it’s moments of “isolation”. Caleb getting to hang out with someone else fairly close to his age who really knows where he is coming from when he talks about struggling with lows, highs, etc, is going to be fantastic!!
Please post more videos of Caleb “rocking out” (I really liked his air guitar in the beginning of the video btw!) about his new Book Buddy, David :slight_smile:

Thank you Bradford for mentioning it since the video is the whole point of this post! I updated something on the video which must have rendered my link useless…going to fix now.

I will certainly post any more air jam moments I capture. :slight_smile:

Back in business. Thanks again Bradford. He has Book Buddies every Friday. I’m looking forward to hearing how it went today. :slight_smile: