The odds

What are the odds that a machine could give someone a majority of incorrect readings? I was using a variation of one touch devices over the summer for my daughter which more times than not gave elevated-high readings. I switched machines to the contour next after much research ( the accuracy is supposed to be significantly better). Now although some readings are elevated they aren’t nearly as high as the ones I was getting with the one touch. I was just wondering what the odds were that almost ALL of her readings could have been wrong? ( Wrong as in, greater than the allowable 15-20 point difference) Trialnet seems to feel that she is just creating more of her own insulin for the time being, resulting in better numbers and that the switching of machines was merely a coincidence. Whats everyone’s feeling’s about that?

How are the numbers using test solution

Unfortunately no one instructed me about the control solution part of the meter till right before I switched machines. I plan on buying the solution and checking just to see if the machine is really that off. Just was wondering what the likely hood of ALL my results being wrong. That would mean months of useless data which is very disappointing

Most times you get control solution with the meter - esp the more expensive ones

Stick with contour next - top of the line

1 Like

My feeling is that it is extremely unlikely that the One Touch was always wrong by more than the margin of error. I agree that Contour is a better machine, but they both have to pass basic standards.
I’ve had both One Touch and Contour meters and in my experience the Contour tends to read higher (not lower) than the One Touch, though both are usually within the margin of error.
If you still have the One Touch machine you could test with the Contour and the One Touch at the same time and see if the One Touch reads high.

I used various iterations of OneTouch over many years before getting a ContourNext with my first pump. The CountourNext is definitely more accurate, but I never experienced anything like what you’re describing with OneTouch. Of course you might have just had one that was out of calibration. Like everyone says, that’s what the test solution is for (I almost never bother with it either).

One easy way to check your one touch meters accuracy is to compare its estimated a1c to your daughter’s actual a1c at her next appointment… I also noticed if you are trying to compare different glucometers you are supposed to lancet different fingers, as the longer the blood is exposed, the higher the readings will be…I’ve used both the contour and the verio IQ and see very little difference… depending on insurance whims, they usually have a favorite, but I care more about how many micro liters of blood are required…contour is still 6, while verio is 4, and freestyle lite is 3

1 Like

My DME provider keeps trying to force onetouch verio meters on me, and I positively DESPISE them. I used onetouch meters for more than 20 years, and I just don’t think they’ve held their own against the competition. I have the same exact problem with these meters, I can’t dose from them because it will drive me hypo every single time. They consistently read way too high.

If you do some searching here, you’ll find other people with the same exact vehemence towards Onetouch, so I have to say that yes, the meter could be that off. If you don’t trust it, don’t use it.

Maybe it’s individual body chemistry, maybe they’re occasional manufacturing defects, maybe they all suck…I don’t know.

I’ve been a fan of the Freestyle lite better, but I know the contour one gets the most recommendations around here.

I’ve been using OneTouch meters for years without issue. If it is off as much as OP said, it must be defective. I’d prefer ContourNext, based on the recommendations here, but it’s not covered by my insurance.