The spoiled under 30 crowd

How bout Potato STIX in that can? I dont remember how many times I almost cut my tongue off licking the last bit of salt from inside the tube…

Oh yeah. My mom made this salad for her card club - potato sticks, shredded carrots, tuna and mayo. It was amazingly good, but you had to mix it right before serving or else the stix would get soggy from the mayo.

We always (still) eat Shredded Wheat (or its equivalent in other brands) by pouring hot milk over the biscuits. Then it was whole milk, poured over biscuits topped with loads and loads of sugar. Now it’s
We used to also pour lots and lots of white sugar over the biscuits before adding the milk. Now it’s either skim milk or vanilla soy milk, and very little – if any – additional sweetener.

We used to drown our oatmeal in butter and brown sugar.

I remember potato sticks; they’re still available in these parts.

We used to suck on the fizzy tablets like candy…

Kinda like ZOTZ without the candy coated shell…

Or the Nik L Nips.. Could eat a buncha those bottles.. We used to put them in our mouth and chomp them so that sugary liquid goodness would explode in our mouths!!

Oh yeah and would always like to “light up” with my dad!! It was so nice how they instilled these great moral values in us kids!!

used to get these in my christmas stocking

After-dinner-mint candie shaped like miniature cigarettes with a bit of red food color to simulate “smoke”. Chocolate cigars. “Smoking” pretzel logs and pretzel sticks, pretending they were cigars and cigarettes.

Bazooka gum for a penny. Save a couple hundred wrappers and get a toy for shipping-and-handling. (An Israeli version of these are available for purchase around Passover, but the comics are black-and-white instead of color.)

Going to Skee-Ball was a special treat. Save your coupons and get penny candy or trinket toys. Mom and Dad would save up for larger gifts. Would have loved to have won them the set of real china…

I remember those cigarettes for kids. Forgot all about those. Also smoked pretzels! We actually lit the ends of pretzel logs.

How bout eating some Sugar Mammas (not daddies) and watching the guy tumble down that ski ramp every week to the “agony of defeat!” on the Wide World of Sports every Sunday!

What about Turkish Taffy–remember that stuff?

Yeah, you could smak it and crack it into many edible peices to share with your friends… Reminds me of Dingbats… Kinda like a taffy type lolly pop in exotic flavors like bananna and cherry. Looked like a small version of a sugar daddy. Those remind me of Abazabas… Taffy rolled over peanutbutter… I used to eat those while playing with my Whippersnapper… A whippersnapper was a whip that was all coiled up and if you flipped your wrist it would “unroll” and then spring back into itself… And when I got bored with that I would steal my brothers Wheel-O… kinda like this wheel on magnets that would roll up one side and then down the other…

My dad would give me half a stick of his BlackJack gum… which was pretty nasty… but I liked it better than the Teaberry he used to get.

I can’t tell you how many fillings those little tiny rock hard but chewy Jujubes and Bit-o-Honeys have been ripped out of my teeth, although my father might be able to tell you. DOH!
I liked those Reeds “lifesavers” they had cinnamin,rootbeer, butterscotch. They were very intense in flavor… And they did not have a hole in them, they were like little discs… Kinda like the shape of QUISP cereal… That was so yummy too! Was like a saucer shape captain crunch. I also liked BuckWheats cereal. It was a grown up cereal but it was a little sweet and it tasted like Maple.It was kinda hard and had a good “shalack” coating on the flakes so they would not go soggy in milk. I also liked Screaming Yellow Zonkers… A carmel coated popcorn with peanuts… Not that burnt taste like cracker jacks… never enjoyed crackerjacks except for the surprise inside.
Remember that stuff that came in a tube and came with a straw and you would put a blob on the straw and you could blow these big bubbles with them and create “things” with them? It was almost like a sticky plastic that would get hard after u let them dry…It was multi colored and looked very cool as you blew it up… Was the same time Silly String came out and blacklights and neon posters were the big thing… Oh and huge furry smiley faces. And Precious Moments stuff… Ok heheh someone elses turn.

AHHH ok… before I forget…
I remember being a “little altered” back in the day and tellin my friend I would give him 5 bucks if he would put those Pop Rocks inside his nose… He didn’t have to snort them mind you, just to listen to them “pop” in his nose would be fine… lol needless to say he earned my 5 bucks.
After church when I was little my parents used to go to the drug store to get perscriptions. I used to get to pick out one candy if I had been good. I used to love those Pine Brothers chewy Honey and Lemon cough drops… They were like tough gummy bears. You could suck them, chew them and most likely swallow them whole after they started hurting the teeth.

Ok no one mentioned the 29 cent per gallon gasoline. Or the “a nickle and a dime will get, french fried potatoes, a big thick shake, or the greatest 15 cent hamburger yet” the old McDonald’s jingle and they actually peeled the potatoes in the McDonald

Ahh yes I remember … Super elastic bubble plastic by Wham-O. Just one one the thing we drove my Mom crazy with. But then I had 3 boys so there was plenty of pay back,lol

Wacky Packages, klick-clacks, Mary-Janes (the candy, not the shoes – OK, the shoes, too), “Sour Balls”, Luden’s Menthol Cough Drops, Smith Brother’s Cough Drops. Skipper back when she was 11" and brunette, and her friend Scooter; Barbie’s friends Midge and Allen; Dressy Tessy (same size, hair grew and shrank with a key); Tammy dolls and Tammy’s family; Chatty Baby and Chatty Cathy; Thumbelina baby dolls (and later, Toddler Thumbelina as well); Dawn dolls; Beautiful Chrissy (with the growing hair); making Chinese jump ropes from scavenged rubber bands; “Strawberry Shortcake” jumprope rhymes; Dodge Ball and Kickball in gym; one-piece bloomer gym uniforms for junior high and high school girls; white canvas Keds and P.F. Flyers…

Wow, Tmana. Think we had the same childhood. Boy, did your list bring back memories. I don’t remember Skipper as a brunette, though. Chatty Cathy (my sister had one) gave me the creeps:) Had a Tressy doll with growing hair.

Loved Chinese jump rope! Had both kinds of Mary Janes. Keds & P.F. Flyers were the only sneakers. Did you ever polish yours white when they got dirty?

Played with Jacks & Pick-Up-Sticks. Also those games with small, pink rubber balls. Gee, what was it called, or maybe there wasn’t a name for the game where you bounced a ball to a rhyming song while raising your leg over the ball. Penske Pinkie was one brand of those balls, can’t recall the other.

OMG, gym bloomers–what an embarrassment they were. My mother got mine larger than needed in junior high school so I’d grow into them, but I never did.

Levi jeans that weren’t prewashed & stiff as a board. Took forever to break them in.

Garter belts for stockings. Thank heavens for pantyhose.

Keds & P.F. Flyers were the only sneakers. Did you ever polish yours white when they got dirty?

No, though other folk did. I think my generation’s parents just threw them in the wash.

Also those games with small, pink rubber balls. Gee, what was it called, or maybe there wasn’t a name for the game where you bounced a ball to a rhyming song while raising your leg over the ball. Penske Pinkie was one brand of those balls, can’t recall the other.

We called them “Pennsy Pinkies” but the brand name was “Spaulding”. In some areas they are called “Spauldines”. Our usual Pennsy Pinky games were “Composition”, “A-Lary”, “A my name is”, and later on, “Hello, Hello, Hello, Sir” and “Russia”.

OMG, gym bloomers–what an embarrassment they were. My mother got mine larger than needed in junior high school so I’d grow into them, but I never did.

In New York State, the passage of Title IX reintegrated gym classes (we were boys and girls together through 4th grade, separately after that, but back together after Title IX) and removed the requirement for gym uniforms (though not, in theory, for white canvas-topped sneakers.

Lower grade school and boys’ gym uniforms were school-color shorts and a white T-shirt with the school mascot in the school’s other color, with white canvas-top sneakers. Upper grade school girls had a white one-piece polycotton snap-front romper with semi-fitted waistband which the bullies insisted on grabbing and unsnapping just to embarrass you (or to show the boys playing hooky from gym or lunchroom). There were no locker rooms, so you wore your gym clothes under your school clothes and carried your sneakers to and from school since you were not allowed to wear T-shirts or sneakers for class. Junior high gym uniform was a one piece with a green-and-white pinstriped “blouson” top over fitted green short with an elastic waist and a back zipper. The synthetic fiber itched and made the uniform stick to you when you had to take it off to put your school clothes back on.

Levi jeans that weren’t prewashed & stiff as a board. Took forever to break them in.

Oh, yes… ouch… though some other denims came into the mix in the mid '70’s (none with 2% stretch, though). I remember spending weekends beading and embroidering my jeans…

I remember NOTHING on TV on Christmas Day except one local station had a six-hour segment of “Yule Log”…

Garter belts for stockings. Thank heavens for pantyhose.

Don’t know why my mother didn’t toss sneakers in the laundry.

Spaulding–thanks! Can remember the lyrics to some.

I went to school in NY. Gym class in elementary school, through 6th grade, was co-ed. The girls wore dresses & white sneakers. No locker rooms. We didn’t do anything too demanding or athletic. So much for Pres. Kennedy’s physical fitness program:)

Junior high school & high school were separate gender gym classes, locker rooms & gym uniforms. Bloomer outfit was one piece, medium blue, an open collar with small lapels, cap sleeves, snaps up the front, semi-fitted elastic waistband. We had to have our first name in white on the front, breast pocket & our last name in big white letters on the back. My grandmother embroidered it. My gym uniform was cotton & had to be ironed! White socks & white sneakers completed the attractive ensemble.

Yea, I embroidered & patched my jeans, too.

Yeah well you guys were lucky to get the Levis jeans… On occasion I would get THE BIG YANK brand…

and a belt because I got sick of givin myself a BIG YANK!

Oh incidently the first girl is the girl in the check out register in the movie Animal house… You know the one that had all the Tissues…