The steady march downward - Eric's a1c getting better

At our one-month pump follow-up today, Eric’s a1c had fallen from 8.4 to 8.2; if we continue at this rate, we’ll be below 8.0 for the first time since his diagnosis by the end of the year. We’ve come to the conclusion that his pancreas is finally giving up completely, as his basals have been creeping upward. It was very encouraging – Eric has gained another pound and grown a half inch, and he’s happy and healthy and doing great. I feel like things are finally looking up. Maybe it was just that we passed the one-year mark, or maybe it’s just the relief of getting his pump and working out the problems, but I haven’t felt this grounded in a long time.

What’s really weird, though, is that during my session with the diabetes educator, I found myself and Eric cast in the role of mentors to another family. A six-year-old boy in my (very small) town has just been diagnosed, and his family is eager to learn all they can and is considering getting him on a pump, so the DE asked whether I’d be willing to get together with them and “show them the ropes.” Of course, part of that was that she wanted to make the boy himself feel more secure about becoming a pumper, and seeing a much younger Eric tootling around with his pump on his back and nary a care in the world will likely be reassuring. Not to mention the fact that visiting a farm WITH HORSES!!! is a fun experience for almost any child, so she was sort of hoping that making the connection between horses and fun and seeing a pump in use for the first time would give the boy a positive association about pump use.

It was a bizarre feeling–I still feel like this is so new, yet when I think about the days immediately following Eric’s diagnosis, I realize how far we’ve all come. So of course I said yes, and also told the DE that I STRONGLY recommended she point this family toward tudiabetes.com, emphasizing just how much it has helped me to learn and become comfortable with raising a child with diabetes. I think I’ve made a convert because she quickly agreed – she mentioned that she’s been passing on the info about the bubbles and the degassing technique that I got from this site to most of her clients at MMC, so pats on the backs of everyone who commented on my bubbles question, you’ve impressed an expert! And since the DE is herself a T1D pumper with 15 years under her belt, not easily done!

Wow Elizabeth. I just checked out some of your previous blog about Eric! Amazing is all I can say. I wasn’t as young as Eric when I was diagnosed with diabetes (I was 7) - but I can’t imagine how it would have been for my Mum to go thru’ all that you have with your son - you are Super Mum!!! Whoo! Whoo! If my Mum had had the support that is available here - I think it would have been a much easier transaction for her - as I was the child from hell (see - I still have horns ). We had only a few types of insulins back in the 60’s, no BG meters, children were a rarity with diabetes - so it was hit and miss with us - with our hormones all over the places, running up trees, running away from home (yuppers - I was an evil child). All in all, my Mum did a great job with bringing me up - and the fact I have next to no complications from diabetes - is thanks to my Mum. Keep up the good work - and hopefully when Eric is abit older - he’ll be able to join up to Tudiabetes - and help other kids!
So, can’t wait for the next A1C result! We’re all rooting for you!

Anna from Montreal - aka FatCatAnna - Trials and Tribulations of a Diabetic

I think I must have it a WHOLE lot easier than your mum. If Eric had been born back then, likely he’d have died; they never would have recognized T1D in an infant his age. Makes me wonder how many little 'uns did die from this disease without anyone ever realizing they had it. But that was then, this is now, and BOY am I glad to be doing this parenting thing NOW.

Elizabeth, that’s wonderful news! We’re so happy for you all and how far you’ve come. I’m glad you’re now mentoring someone else and encouraging them along. I had a similar feeling when Elisabeth’s endo told me I should be leading a support group. I said, no way! i need to be attending a support group! SMILE. Keep up the great work.

What great news! So happy for Eric & you.

Lovely you’ll be helping this family. Kids relate so much better to other kids & Eric will be a glowing example to this little boy. How cool!