The trouble with Halloween ... CANDY

Ok, so this is our first Halloween with D. My daughter thinks she wants to trade her candy in for money or some sort of item. What, exactly, do you do with Halloween candy? If you buy it from your kids, how do you price it? It you trade it for a CD or something, how do you decide what the candy is worth? Or do you keep it and eat it? Help!

My son is really pretty little, so we let him have a couple of pieces and then Dad eats the rest. That’s not going to work for you, though. I think your daughter should sort the candy into the “best stuff”, the “pretty good” stuff, the “okay” stuff, and the “wouldn’t touch it if my life depended on it” stuff, and once the sorting is done, you give her a per-piece price on each category – a dollar for the best stuff, 75 cents for the pretty good, 50 cents for the okay, and a quarter for the stuff she doesn’t like. Just don’t tell her the prices for each category in advance or she’ll put the candy into higher categories to get more money :slight_smile:

Then, once you’ve done all the calculations (and this could be a good math exercise for her) to determine how much her stash is worth, put it “on account” and let her decide how she wants to spend it. The candy itself, you can either eat or give away.

1 Like

If you guys decided to trade for money, treat the candy as if you were buying it from the strore in bags. The average bags (skeetles, starburts etc…) is around $ 2 dollars per 11 oz bag. The average bag of the chocolate (candy bars) is around $ 2.50- 3.00 per 11 oz bag. As far as what you do with the candy is either eat or give away the chocolate first (as it turns stale the longer its kept) and save the hard candies and use them as treats or rewards. Some may even be used as rapid sugar for hypo BS (not the chocolate). Good Luck! And Happy Trick O Treating!

1 Like

We used to let her have some candy as desserts after meals, usually chocolate type candy, which does not raise her BS very much. We would save the hard candy, such as skittles, Nerds, etc. for lows (now she hates hard candy, LOL). After a week or two the candy would disappear as we would eat it, i.e., we do not let the candy stay around the house for good. We do the same with Easter candy. While trick or treating we would let her snack on the candy as she would often drop from all the extra exercise.

We are going to sort the candy by carbs, set a limit on how many carbs worth of candy they get halloween night, and then get rid of the rest. we are also doing several activities that are high on fun and low on sugary treats. For example we are going to the haunted pool party, and several of the churches have carnival harvest parties, where if they win the game they get a toy instead of candy… We have 2 kids with D, 4 kids total, so we can’t afford to buy back candy every holiday. We would be broke. Our girls are old enough to know that while D sucks, it still means that we have to be smart about it. The best part of halloween is candy, we just can’t go over board.

1 Like

This is our first Halloween with diabetes too. We are planning to let her eat a little the night of and pick a small stash for the week. We will buy the rest from her. We plan to send the leftovers to the troops, that way we can tie in a service project too! We also have a 5 year old non diabetic who will follow the same rules.

My first Halloween, instead of trick-or-treating, my parents threw a big neighborhood party for all my friends with pumpkin seed spitting contests, apple bobbing, pin the tail on something-or-other, etc. I was ten years old, dressed as a witch, and had so much fun that I didn’t miss the candy.

That being said, I now enjoy plenty of Halloween candy. I just carb count for it! There is nutritional info out there now that there wasn’t when I was a kid. Makes it so much easier.

This is our first as well. Our son with diabetes is 8 and we have a younger son, almost 5, who does not have diabetes. We are planning the same - we are letting them keep the treats that we know about and use for treats and lows now - such as kit kat, coffee crisp, chips, etc. The rest we will buy off of them and just get rid of it (take it into work). We will also focus more on the non-treat aspect - we have bought them both black halloween cat webkinz and our neighbours have built a haunted house which they will go through which will limit the amount of time they have to go trick or treating.

My daughter is 4 1/2 and this is our second Halloween with D. Last year we let her have a piece a night after dinner and just accounted for it in her dinner insulin. After a couple of days she forgot about it and my husband and I ate the rest!

1 Like

last year, we offered all four of our kids, the option of keeping a small ziploc bag of their candy and trading the rest in for either a target or itunes gift card. They all took the offer–including our 7 year old with diabetes. greatly reduced the hassle of dealing with halloween candy all around.

1 Like

My son is 6 and still believes in magic.

He does get to keep a few pieces of candy but the rest we dump into our Jack’O Lantern (a big one), after having ceremoniously blown out the candle. Overnight, the magic pumpkin mysteriously transforms the candy into toys (1 bigger item and a few trinkets). He would much rather have the toys than the candy!

1 Like

This was sent by a parent at my daughter’s school (non D). Just thought it was interesting.

I just read about a few [slightly] different methods some parents use to make sure their kids don’t eat too much candy at Halloween. Thought they were interesting. If anyone has another method, please pass it on!

1. “The Good Witch” comes to our house. My kids pick 10-15 pieces that they want to keep and eat over the next couple of weeks. The rest goes out on the front porch. “The Good Witch” picks up the candy sometime during the night and leaves a small present like a book or puzzle for them to find the next morning. They are now 8 and 9 and still love this tradition!

2. Years ago I instituted the Great Candy Buyback program. At the end of trick-or-treating the kids sort their candy and select 10 – 20 pieces, and then I buy the rest back. I give them $20 for it, and a day or two later we go shopping for a toy or game. This keeps momma honest, too. I save only 10 or 20 pieces for myself in a “chocolate jar” so I don’t snack my way into larger sized jeans.

3. In my house we offer a few plans to choose from. You can either eat whatever you want for three days and throw the rest away, or you can eat one piece a day for as long as your interest lasts. We now have an orthodontist who will buy the candy from us for $2 per pound, so cold hard cash will be the third option this year.

1 Like

I think it’s a good idea to have some kind of a plan. My first Halloween w type1 was weeks after my dx, and it was really a sad situation. I’d already had a costume ready, and I can’t remember why I didn’t go with my friends as usual, but finally my dad took me around to some neighbors and I ended up giving my candy to my brother and sister. that was the last time I did trick-or-treating.

I used to trade my candy in for sugar-free candy, if memory serves. I went trick or treating with my brothers and friends, but at the end of the night I’d trade in my candy for ones that I could eat. These days, I wouldn’t bother with sugar-free, I’d do an iTunes gift card or money or something like that!

There’s a project called the Teal Pumpkin Project that was started last year by the food allergy community and has grown even more this year. It’s purpose is to have homes offer both candy and non-candy treats (like stickers, colouring pages, little toys from the dollar store) for kids, since many candies are unsafe for kids with food allergies (which aren’t necessarily just nuts!). When I first saw it, I thought that it was something that the diabetes community might benefit from, though I know there are many who would say kids with diabetes should just eat the candy and bolus for it…

I really like the idea of trading the candy in for money… Several lessons can be learned from that… My kids don’t have D but I might even try that with my daughter…

My son is also highly allergic to corn (think corn syrup) so we generally don’t even have candy in the house, and I don’t think my kids miss it much…

Edit to add— just found out the local hospital has a “candy exchange” every year where the kids can bring in their candy and trade it for little toys and trinkets, Etc— so that’s what we’ll be doing this year-- I think that’s a great idea…

I just saw somebody giving out glowsticks and glow bracelets - seems like a really fun thing to give (that’s not like the dentist giving away toothbrushes). I think I will definitely do that next year…!

1 Like