The ultimate overnight hospital bag - thoughts?

This past week, a friend of mine was hospitalized for pneumonia. She has cystic fibrosis and CFRD (cystic fibrosis related diabetes), so hospital stays are nothing new for her, but she wasn’t expecting to stay in the hospital for quite so long, so she only brought the essentials. Back when I was hospitalized for DKA, a friend brought me a few things that were so amazingly valuable (the kinds of things you don’t realize you need until you have them and you’re like YESSSSSSS this is amazing), so, remembering this, I ran to Walgreens and got her dry shampoo, chapstick, mouthwash, sudoku puzzles, guilty pleasure tabloid magazines, face wipes, etc. She was so happy to have them, and our other friend re-stocked her days later with some fancy shower gel and shampoo in case she was able to shower (because I imagine hospital-grade shampoo isn’t exactly ideal), and a change of clothes.

Anyway, she’s home now (yay!) and recovering, but it got me thinking about other items that would be great to have for overnight or long term hospital stays. Obviously we never hope to be in that position, but hey, it happens. We might as well be prepared for it so we can make the most of it!

How have you/would you guys made hospital stays more manageable? Some items I can think of are:

dry shampoo
mouthwash
face wipes
magazines/books
deoderant

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Toothbrush and paste.
Hand sanitizer

Clean nighties or pjs

1 Like

2-ply toilet paper

6 Likes

Laptop or tablet
Chargers for smartphone and laptop
Headphones

1 Like

socks
hairbrush

1 Like

Slippers
Headphones to block out hospital noises
And pillow from home

2 Likes

Champagne. (You just asked for items “that would be great to have” :smile: )

4 Likes

Yeah…I think I’d be pretty happy with a nice pair of fluffy slippers and a bottle of wine, haha!

2 Likes

earplugs and eye mask, favorite snacks/drinks from home.
For longer stays: notebook/journal, music, books, address book/phone numbers of friends/family.

Doesn’t everyone’s health insurance cover these basic amenities as part of their in-patient benefits?!?!?

2 Likes

You mean over 24 hours, right? :wink:

Just because they do provide soap, toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, etc… doesn’t mean it’s stuff you actually want to use.

When you’re already in enough misery, just having decent tasting toothpaste and mouthwash can be a huge spirit-lifter.

3 Likes

My health insurance can be billed $1250 for fluffy slippers.

1 Like

Fresh, comfy underwear!

4 Likes

Ground coffee, hate that instant stuff.

2 Likes

My comment was in reference to having nice, fluffy slippers and a bottle of wine, not to the crap supplies provided by the hospital. Although I was once given this fantastic hand cream while hospitalized. It was so nice that I tried to find the same brand once I was back in the real world…

2 Likes

No one should ever underestimate the power of a pair of clean briefs!

2 Likes

Soft tissues–the hospital ones are so scratchy! And nasal saline spray 'cos the air is so dry.

2 Likes

Agreed, agreed and agreed. iPad and iPhone, and headphones are MUST HAVES if I have to be in the hospital. Luckily haven’t been in for anything D related in ages, but have been in over night for my gallbladder and a leg I managed to break. Sigh lol I swear its all the other crap in my life that causes more issues than my D does.