The uninformed invisible diabetic community

At work today this smallish guy asked me how long I had had diabetes. I asked him how he knew and he said he watched me test blood. I told him forty years and he said he’d gotten diabetes at age two. I said age fifteen. I said it was too hard before the cgm and meant construction work. I’m union journeyman electrical he’s plumbing. He’d never heard of cgm but was thinking about a pump. I guess its easy to be uninformed.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it is way too easy to be uninformed… :disappointed:

1 Like

Uninformed is likely more the rule than the exception unfortunately

1 Like

So how do we as a community inform them? I’ve worked in underserved communities and often the only healthcare a T1D has access to is a general practitioner who is overworked and has no time to keep up on the latest T1D advancements.

1 Like

It’s not like information isn’t available, the majority of people just don’t care enough to pursue it.

1 Like

Well, I spoke to the office staff at my endo’s office to make an appointment with the cde to get a cgm. The woman looked at me like I had two heads when I said I wanted to talk to the cde about a continuous glucose meter and asked me if I was sure I didn’t mean I wanted to talk about getting a pump…

1 Like

I first learned about insulin pumps in 1998 when I tried looking up on the internet about diabetes. So I knew a lot about pumps when I found a doctor to prescribe one. I wished I had been better informed. But like most people it took a complication wake up call for me to actively pursue the latest remedies. When the doctor told me about humalog, a fast acting insulin I thought I should have been notified even though I wasn’t seeing a doctor.

1 Like

i think sometimes they don’t care because of a kind of low grade depression and just being tired. then there are people of all different stripes (diabetic, non-diabetic, etc) who just are not intellectually curious and don’t seek out any kind of new info.

1 Like

Does one have to be intelligent to apply the treatment options? Because that’s scary since many people are not intelegent enough to become their own physician. I remember a time when I spent as little time and effort on treatment as possible because I got upset about paraphernalia or attention needs.

when i’m tired and depressed i can’t concentrate, so whatever intelligence i have drops in that state.

2 Likes

I hate the effects of diabetes. The poor young children that get it and can’t grow big and tall. The mental confusion of low blood sugar. The exhaustion from high blood sugars. The thirst and extra peeing. The diversion from important matters. Being different. Being less healthy and energetic. How much does being well informed really help?

Well, being informed helps to avoid all of those things doesn’t it?

1 Like

Being informed combined with effective action and persistence makes all the difference. But it all starts with the right information.

1 Like

Right information? Ydmv. Rolling with the punches and keeping a good sense of humor and not taking self too seriously…