This year for Valentine's Day... Spare a Rose, Save a Child

Around the world, lack of access to insulin is the most common cause of death for many children with diabetes. In fact, in some parts of the world, the estimated life expectancy of a child who has just developed diabetes could be less than a year. *

This Valentine’s Day our community can help change that.

Through the Spare a Rose, Save a Child campaign, we raise awareness and donations for Life for a Child, an International Diabetes Federation program which provides life-saving diabetes supplies, medication, and education that children in developing countries need to stay alive.

Spare a Rose, Save a Child is simple: buy one less rose this Valentine’s Day and donate the value of that flower to children with diabetes. Your loved one at home still gets flowers and you both show some love to children around the world who need it.

One rose, one month of life. A dozen roses, a year of life for a child with diabetes. We’re hopeful that you will embrace this cause this year.

There are two things you can do to help:
1. Make a Donation to Life for a Child

2. Spread the Word

During the first two weeks of February (1-14), please help raise awareness for “Spare a Rose, Save a Child” by blogging, tweeting, Facebooking, etc. about the effort. We encourage you to use the marketing materials we’ve provided and reference our FAQs as you help us spread the word. Our goal this year is to engage people outside of the DOC too, so don’t forget to reach out to your family, friends, and colleagues.

We hope you’ll share in our effort to channel some of our love for our families into helping other families keep their loved ones alive. It is a simple but life-changing message and just a few dollars goes a long way. Spare a Rose also shows that the diabetes online community takes care of one another – both online and off – in America and around the world.

Sincerely,
The Partnering for Diabetes Change team, on behalf of the Diabetes Online Community

* http://www.idf.org/lifeforachild/the-programme

Let's do this!! Let's all get behind Spare a Rose. I am sure Barbara would be all over this!!

I just made a donation, and I will be spreading the word!

I made a donation at their website :)

I just made my donation, and I feel GREAT about it! I have helped a child in need make it through another year with diabetes. It's huge. Join me!!

Life for a Child has written us a Thank-You letter! It's not too late to add your donation to this wildly successful effort. If you haven't done so yet, Spare a Rose now!!

Read the letter from Life for a Child:

1126-LFACsaveachildthankyou.jpg (1.58 MB)