Time for Change?

So, I’ve been type 2 for a while. I’ve been to doctors and dietitians, friends and family discussed how worried they are for me. Since my had family an unexpected this summer I put my diabetes and general health on the back burner. Now, I’m really ill with crazy blood sugars, extremely dry skin and various viruses all together.

I know CGM’s can pricey but it could be the thing I need.

Hi Carly,

Check out the abbot freestyle which is not really a full blown CGM but a passive system. Alternatively look at the Dexcom or Senseonics.

Why don’t you start with some simple things ,like counting your carbs, simple exercise, taking your medication . To me if we are not playing by your DB rules ,it doesn’t matter what meter you use it will always read high. So regroup and make a plan that will help make you feel better. Good luck. Nancy50

1 Like

Help us get to know you, Clarity. What meds are you on? Whats your current treatment regime? How high is ‘high’ and how low is ‘low’ - if your running high and low. We can help you troubleshoot this.

I think one of the benefits that a CGM can provide you is the educational feedback to help make various choices going forward, especially food choices. For this to work well, you do need to pay attention to the data is reveals to you and also be willing to act on that data.

Before CGMs, we used blood glucose fingerstick meters to get a snapshot reading of our blood glucose levels. Some people, especially people with type 2 diabetes, adopted the practice of “eating to your meter.” If post meal blood sugar excursions went too high, the person would eliminate that food from their diet and see if that helped.

Eating to your meter, if used successfully, requires a commitment to make the changes needed to affect real changes to blood sugar levels. This tactic will often, but not always, reveal that eating things like bread, potatoes, rice, noodles, and many baked goods as drivers of high blood sugar post meal.

The big impediment to all this is changing the way you eat. People are usually reluctant to giving up some of their favorite foods. There’s an emotional and psychological component to all this, making it hard, but not impossible to do.

It took me two years of thinking about limiting carbohydrates in my diet to actually commit to doing it. The diagnosis of a diabetes complication provided the motivation to take the plunge. It was one of the best things I could have done for my health. I’m sure it’s added years to my lifespan and healthspan.

Good luck with your decision. You are worth it; don’t sell yourself short. Technology, however, is not a magic solution. The human “software” of knowledge, determination, and motivation is what’ll make real changes for you. Many people have adopted CGM and failed to make the changes they need.

A CGM can definitely help, but you are the magic ingredient!

2 Likes

Due to insurance/Medicare regulations many of us type 2 ‘s still use the old “ finger stick”:-1: Nancy50