To all of us, Happy Juneteenth!

June 19, 1865 was the day that the Union Army took Galveston, Texas, and made it known to everyone that President Lincoln had declared all slaves to be free in the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863. There was general jubilation, and also a lot of hardship, as black people took to the roads looking for those who had been ripped from them – husbands, wives, parents, children. Widows on plantations whose husbands had been killed could no longer run the plantations, and there was much economic chaos and struggle. But the net result has been a good one, and we should ALL be celebrating it!

My state, Nevada, just became the 39th state to recognize Juneteenth as a state holiday, but shouldn’t it be national?

Sorry this is off-topic, but freedom is just too important to ignore.

I’d be in favor of Juneteenth in place of either Memorial Day or Veterans’ Day. I find those holidays redundant.

My father actually owns an original copy of the emancipation proclamation.

Not every black person can say they have their freedom papers. :slight_smile:

I wanted him to give it to a museum so they could care for it better. He wants to keep it. It is the original frame.

What amazes me is how people don’t even know this day exists or that the 14 Th amendment made of slaves American citizens.

No other ethnic group in the USA has the distinct honor of being property (chattel) when they were forcefully immigrated here then declared human by human law…not religion or God’s law. What a difference 200 years can make! This is why Blacks/African Americans are not immigrants…they are the descendants of political prisoners.