Too Much Protein?

OK quick question…is there a defined limit for protein intake before a diabetic is at risk for developing kidney disease? I’m eating more and more every day…now I’m eating about one ounce per pound of bodyweight. I may eventually want to consume even more…I do work out everyday…but does this make a difference for diabetics?

Is there a rule of thumb?

Good question. I don’t have an answer.

Dr. Bernstein generally says “don’t worry about eating too much protein”, if I remember correctly!

Hope someone else can help us out??

All I know is too much protein is bad if you have kidney problems, but I have no Idea of what"too much" is. i would guess it would be worth monitoring the color of your urine. Excellent question, though. I’d kinda like to have an answer, too.
peace
danny

I’ve always been told that protein whould be restricted only if you have overt kidney disease - (and, unfortunately I think there are a several different definitions for that).
For somebody who doesn’t have kidney problems, I would think that if a higher protein diet helps you with better control, then cool. Of course, protein can also affect your cholesterol in a negative way, esp if it’s a fatty type of meat.
…just keep askin’ those questions…

too much protein in reality is not healthy for anyone, I do not think diabetics are an exception for limited protein, my endo and nutritionist always try to tell me the importance of fitting protein into each meal, she even recommended protein shakes! unless you have kidney damage i would not worry.

heres a daily protein requirement calculator http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html

Occasionally consuming to much protein will raise Blood Sugar. This has happened to me in the past. I have no idea why.

Rick Phillips

Kidney problems occur in people with D when we have long time history of high blood sugars.

Forgot to add that protein in urine is a result of kidney damage for those high bgs.

Protein can be converted to glucose–50% of it.

It’s true that protein can be converted to glucose, but I think the 50% part is a very rough estimate. For one, gluconeogenesis (the process of converting the amino acids in protein to sugar) takes time to kick in and gives you a much steadier rise in blood sugar. For example, eating a candy bar with 20 grams of sugar will affect your blood sugar MUCH differently than eating 40g of protein.

Also, the exact value of how much protein is converted to glucose will change based on your diet. Gluconeogenesis happens during fasting/starvation, when insulin levels are low. If you eat protein alone, with no carbohydrate and do not bolus, more of that protein will find itself in your blood as sugar. On the other hand, if you bolus for the protein and eat a little bit of carbohydrate to counteract the insulin, less protein should be converted to sugar.

I know these seem like technicalities, but I’ve had days when I’ve ended up with higher BGs than I’d like even after eating a relatively carb free breakfast (sausage and eggs). As always, YMMV.

Good luck,

Roman

Roman that might be a good strategy I will try thanks for the post. Technicalities are what tight control is all about right?