Took the wrong insulin at bedtime

Hello
For the past 5 weeks I have been on the keto diet. My blood sugars are perfect. I have gone from 60 to 90 units a day to 18 since Sept 1st. I am still on 60 u Landis at night. Last night I gave myself 60 of humulog by mistake. I didn’t take my Landis for fear of hypoglycemia.
After a few hours of consuming honey and checking my sugars I felt safe to go to bed.
In the morning and all through the day my sugas were normal the highest being 7.8.
If I didn’t have my Landis shouldn’t my sugars be high? So should I take the Landis tonight?

Boy you are lucky! That’s a lot of Humalog to take by mistake! And you would have thought you would have been too high the next day as Humalog wears off usually by 6 hours.

I have no idea what’s okay for you, but when I missed a dose of my basal I would just resume it the next dosing time.

I used to take my Humalog by a pen and my Lantus by vial. When my endo asked why I did that, I said that way I won’t mix them up easily. Too many people do!

2 Likes

This is tricky, talk to your CDE or Pharmacist. Education is power! Nancy50

When fast acting insulin is given in very high doses like that it will act like a long acting insulin but maybe not as reliably as a real long acting.

Wow I have never dosed more than 20 units ever. And that was back when I was on ultra Lente insulin for my daily basal dose.
. I’m not sure how I could survive 60 units. However perhaps you are a bit insulin resistant so maybe that’s what saved you from crashing.
It might be worth it to change how you take one of your insulin’s. I used to mix mine up from time to time when I was tired etc.
I switched my fast insulin to a pen injector and kept my long acting on a vial.
That way you take them in a much different way and you are much less likely to confuse them.

1 Like

Oops I see Marie suggested that same thing.