When I was a teenager, and rebelling against everything, especially my diabetes, I remember wishing so hard that I had been born ten years earlier, so I could have joined the anti-war movement, (and, incidentally, really ticked off my parents.) Of course, I didn’t fully realize this at that time, because I thought I was being noble to stand strong for peace. But my retired Air-Force-Major father may very well have grounded me until the end of the century, and besides, I was way too involved in my own unhappiness over being diagnosed diabetic.

I thought of this today in a very different context – how lucky I am to be alive now, when diabetes research and care are making such great leaps. If I had been 51 in 1974, instead of 14, I can’t imagine having lived for 37 more years. But as my condition has progressed, so has diabetes care, and so have the attitudes of caregivers. Yes, they expect much lower numbers, but my caregivers seem far more approachable than the ones I met with in my 20s, 30s, and 40s.

Or maybe the change is entirely in me. I always expected doctors to be judgmental, unkind, and intolerant. And they were, for the most part, because I didn’t let them treat me any other way. I’m glad that my current doctor and his team were learning the new ways, so that those would be available when I decided not to hate myself, and my diabetes, any more. Maybe it’s okay that I was born in 1960. At least in the care of my condition, I have been part of steps that have changed the world more than any protest rally.

I can soooo relate. I was diagnosed a year b/f u. The way I look at it is they have really changed since then. Ppl would be so surprised at what they said back then wouldn't they???

Thanks so much Gabby -- if you'd have known me a year ago, you would think I was an entirely different person.

Doris -- you know what I'm talking about -- so many diabetics who are younger don't have any idea. My diagnosing doctor told me that day that I would not live to see 40. What a bummer that was. For a long time, I felt like I'd wasted my first 40 years.

The Dr that diagnosed me at 10 told me I wouldn't live to see 30 and that I would never have kids. So like u I wasted my life til I was 25 and found out I could go passed 4 months pg (Had already lost 2 childern by then) now I got 2 girls and 3 g-kids with another on the way in June.

The endo who told me and my parents that I would not make it past 40 is no longer around so I can sashay in and visit him, healthy and happy and hopeful after 43 years as a type one. Now My kind GP, wonderful family doctor that he was; told me I could do anything I wanted to do in life, just to "manage the diabetes" as best as I could. He was always encouraging and helpful. And though I had no way to check our blood sugars other than urine testing; not even sliding scale insulin dosages,no correction bolusess nor carb-counting or any of that( just exchange system);I was still able to "manage". My doctor is in great health himself at 88, and I am going to go visit him over the holidays i while I am in GA.( my home state).

God Bless,
Brunetta

Yep, I was told the day I was diagnosed that I would be lucky to live to be 35. Here I am today at 44!

The technology available at the time was stone knives and bearskins compared to what we have today. Or even what was available just a few years after my diagnosis.