Torn rubber?

Hi everyone,

In the last few days I've noticed that the rubber on the left side of the pump has torn. Its started to fall off on the left side near where the battery goes (as you're looking at the screen). Has this happened anyone else? I think its probably from putting it in the back pocket of my trousers. What should I do with it? I dont want to glue it in case I do damage but I dont want to pull it off either...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mine has basically rubbed off over time. I just left it to its own devices. I’m not sure if it will be waterproof anymore though. I don’t put it near water.

I didn’t think the spirit was waterproof anyway so I have never put it near water really. Thanks though. Good to know that someone else has the same issue!

I ordered some Flexlinks this week and there was a questionnaire in there because they have made some slight changes to the sets and tubing. If you send in the questionnaire, you get a free “skin” for the Spirit, in a variety of colours, which should offer some protection.

The rubber is coming off my Spirit on the right hand side of the screen, above the buttons you press to bolus, on the top corner. I think this is just wear and tear though, from rubbing against my trousers, as I clip it to my waistband of my trousers.

It is a bit annoying that it seems to tear and it appears to be all just normal wear and tear… It seems to be from being put in the trouser pocket. My Dad ended up gluing it for me. It seems fine. I dont think there’s anything we can do to avoid it unfortunately… Oh well!

Call Accu-chek support. The rubber is NOT supposed to come undone and you should be able to receive a replacement (at least in my opinion).

FWIW, while the pump cannot be certified as “waterproof” due mainly to USA FDA regs, it is certainly “water-resistant” and can withstand a dunking. I recently jumped off the back of the boat to go snorkeling when I realized I still had the pump attached. OOPS! I immediately returned to the boat, rinsed the pump in fresh water and it hasn’t missed a beat. Of course, you have to pay attention to the state of the O-rings and periodically replace the battery cover, adapter cover, etc.

Fair Winds,
Mike

Hello Naomi,

This is Rob Muller with Roche Diabetes Care. If you haven’t already done so, please call customer care. If you need any help from me directly, please feel free to email me at rob.muller@roche.com and I’ll do my best to get you where you need to go.

Have a good day.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the advice. Stupidly, that never even occured to me! I live in Ireland so I’ll ring the care team here. I have the number for him somewhere! You’re very good to pass on your email, thanks again,

Naomi

I rang the customer care line today and the girl there said that as long as it isnt in really bad condition, it should be ok. She did say that it should be replaced if it gets badly torn. It should be grand for another while I think!
Thanks for all your messages.

is the pump going to have a child?
Might be a good idea to call and ask… might affect the water resistance and they may just replace the piece for you

I tend to refer to the Spirit as the Swiss Tank of Pumps… its not pretty, nor curvatious and glitzy, but it sure can take one heck of a beating… Not had much oppurtunity to beat it up (fortunately) but some of the other local pump users prety much say the same thing…