'Touched' by Diabetes

I’m always amused when I get an e-mail from this site. A community for people ‘touched’ by diabetes…because to me it doesn’t seem like a touchy-feely type of disease. It seems more like a kick in the ribs, a backhand punch to the face, and finally a roundhouse kick to the solar plexus that sends us tumbling down about 7 flights of stairs. You know, something you can get up from and deal with, but it still smarts.

Then, when you try and punch it back, it grabs your arm and like a cruel older sibling beats you about your head with your own fist all the while taunting you, “Ha ha, you’re hitting yourself! Ha! Ha!”. I can only relate to this because I was the older sibling.

It is a BAD, INAPPROPRIATE touch, by a pancreas in a position of trust, and makes me feel uncomfortable.

But maybe that’s just me. I’m just amused at the juxtaposition of ‘touched’ and a disease that can cause unhealing ulcers, blindness, neuropathy, and sometimes difficulty keeping up the best attitude.

That said, may it be as close to a ‘touch’, or maybe just a slight pinch, to all of you.

P.S. Sorry I’m not around here more.