Transmitter Dying

HI Everybody I just have a question, we have had our transmitter for about 8 months and I think it is dying, it says the battery is fine, but we are having frequent out of range signals, even when the sensor is right next to the receiver, and the sensor is fine.

My questions is this. When you replace your transmitter do you have to do a stop sensor, start sensor, two hour calibration period thing again?

I just don't want to have to do a 2 hour calibration period unless I have to. Thank you for your help!

Since the transmitter (Tx) sits on top of the sensor, the easiest way to deal with it is to remove the sensor you are currently wearing. You will then put on the new sensor and snap your new Tx into that one. I have heard of folks being able to get their current Tx out of the sensor and snapping in the new one, but since you have to enter the new code for the new Tx into your receiver (Rx) so that they can then communicate, you will also have to do the two hour calibration.

Hope that all makes sense -- but in short, yeah, you gotta do a new calibration since the new Tx is a new piece of equipment.

/\/\

Have you tried doing a hard reset of the receiver? If you are getting out of range errors but the transmitter is still listed as good in the settings screen then it may be the receiver not the transmitter. It can't hurt to try a hard reset before activating a new transmitter.

To do the hard reset, first plug your receiver into the charger and let it charge for at least 15-20 minutes. Then find the tiny hole in the back and push a pin in until you get a vibration from the receiver. Leave it on the charger while it does the complete reset. It will go through the full two hour warm up and then do your calibration.
Keep an eye on it as it may hang up on the reset - especially if you take it off of the charger before it has completed the cycle. It it hangs up just do the hard reset again.
I had one that froze up and had to be reset, took me four tries before it completed the reset but it is now 4 month later and it is still working fine.
It may take some time to do but if it works it is well worth it.

I had similar issues from a transmitter only a couple months old. After the next sensor change, it seemed to fix itself. I was wondering if it was just a flakey sensor...

This isn't what you asked - but definitely call Dexcom to get a new transmitter if you haven't already. We had this same problem and when it finally warned us specifically that it was dying we only had a couple of days before it quit completely. And then Dexcom took a long time (not their fault) to get us a new one because apparently our doctor needed to send in another prescription and the insurance needed to approve it again. So just in case - get a new one before it actually dies!

I have a new one on hand, I went ahead and ordered it after the six month mark :)

I didn't want to take a gamble with how long it would last after the low battery sign (if we ever get one) I would hate not having it.

Thank you!

Good to hear - wish I'd had the same foresight!