Travel

Hello! <3 I am about to travel to South East Asia. And since my last trip I have gotten myself an insulin pump. I am just wondering do people think it would be easier whilst travelling to back back to insulin pens? Would it be easier as there would be less luggage to carry around?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve travelled/backpacked several times with a pump. The only trouble I had was with the original large Omnipods - they kept falling off from the heat in the Middle East. I was always able to squeeze supplies in without sacrificing room for anything else really.

1 Like

At the very least it is prudent to always have a backup. So what do you do if your pump fails while on travel? Yes, even with a pump it would be prudent to bring syringes and/or have backup pens. In general, pens and/or syringes and vials will be more resilient and easier to replace while on travel.

3 Likes

Remember to reset the time on your pump to account for time difference overseas. I agree with Brian, ALWAYS have a backup source of insulin.

I have travelled both with a pump and on MDI, and personally I find it easier to travel with a pump for several reasons. I can adjust or even suspend the basal to accommodate varying or unpredictable levels of activity. It’s a breeze dealing with time-zone changes compared with half-doses of long-acting that always seem to send your sugars out of whack for a day or so. I find if I’m eating in a public space (Southeast Asian street food – yum!) bolusing with a pump is easier and more discreet than injecting with a pen (others may think the reverse – it’s a very individual thing). And I’ve always travelled light, so the “bulk” of pump supplies has never been a problem, and supplies are very light to begin with.

Pump or injections, a challenge at this time of year will be keeping your insulin in a safe temperature range. Many people swear by Frio bags (search on this site).

2 Likes