Traveling for a living with Type 1

I travel as a Respiratory Therapist for a living, staying in most assignments 13-26 weeks. This can be a hassle with Type 1 diabetes. When I was in the Boston area I found a great endocrinologist I loved but have had no such luck in the Chicago area. I was used to Miami, where many doctors have evening or weekend office hours, but since I'm working 8am - 4pm with an hours drive each way in Chicago most don't have office hours during those times. It won't matter too much as I'm leaving for Gainesville, FL next weekend and I'll have extra days off to find one there.

My other big hassle is hypoglycemia. I have awful lows, expecially when I'm under stress like when a new assignment starts in a new town. Many times I don't feel my lows until it's too late and I'm already out of it. Twice in Chicago that happened and someone brought police to me and both times when the police asked what was wrong I whimpered something about my bllod sugar. Both times the policeman was real nice, one gave me some candy he had and that helped bring me back up and the other called rescue and after a D50 push I was okay. I'm planning on taking a little less Lantus when I get to Gainsville and using my Novolog only after I've already eaten.

Sometimes diabetes can be a bit of a hassle but for the most part I'm just as normal as all those other crazy people out there!

Have you considered carrying Glucagon Kits with you. I never leave without them as I have a tendency to go to low when I travel.

I carry regular soda or juice and those nasty chalky glucose tablets. BTW, which Endo in Boston did you like so much?

I know were you are coming from. My parents are in the military and we normally do not stay in one place from more than 2 years.