Treatment holiday?

No I will not, I recognized your sarcasm from the beginning.

1 Like

Aren’t we kinda back where we started, with a ginormous gap between basal+bolus users vs bolus only users?

I am an Afrezza and Tresiba user and I am really liking it! It does not take away the need to watch my CGM or test my blood sugars manually or eat health, but it sure has made things easier because I do not have to worry so much about IOB. If my Afrezza dose does not keep my BS in line, then I give some more. The same meal can need a different dose one day than it did another day - depends on my BS before administering the dose, the stress I have that day, the activity I have, etc. but since I know I have no insulin more on board I can give another dose and hopefully correct it without much concern of dropping too low. The two in combo can work out really well but you will have to give it some time and learn how it works. Good luck. Please do not stop taking insulin.! Type 1 56 years!

4 Likes

I believe we have strayed off topic? Just saying.

My daughter is seven years old and was diagnosed a little more than a year ago. What a battle it has been. So much education, trial and error, anxiety and exhaustion. This is my wife and I. I can only imagine what my daughter is going through. After reading many posts and their replies, this is only the beginning for my daughter. Last Friday she started on the pump ( Omnipod). She started on her dexcom g5 last August. I thought that was a massive step. My daughter thought the same. She said to me in the car on our daddy daughter weekend (the weekend she started the cgm) that it felt like she didn’t have diabetes. The same happened yesterday with the pump. The reality is that this is only the beginning for the rest of her life. Many hurdles ahead of her, but I think it is important she knows that she will never be alone in this. Relief is coming. I strongly feel it. Have faith and be strong.

3 Likes

Thank you, Josh. Wishing you and your family the best.

1 Like

Hi, sorry for the late response to your questions, but there are a couple ideas I haven’t seen offered.

A good CDE once proposed a “vacation” from T1D could be taken by having someone else make all the decisions, calculations, & treatments for a day - check your BG, count your carbs, and adjust insulin doses. Sounds great, but it is clearly impractical.

Someone I know stayed on a carb-free diet for awhile, and learned that his control became very stable. If your basal is pretty correct via injection or pump, you’d use little/no bolus insulin = no highs & lows & very little variability. He loved it! But it requires strong dietary discipline.

Hang in there, I hope one of the suggestions works for you!

1 Like

I’ve taken pump vacations for long periods.

I took a pump vacation for a year and used Tresiba. It’s an amazing insulin and I’d still be on it if I hadn’t wanted to try the 670G pump. If you can do without pump features and are willing to inject, Tresiba is remarkable. Virtually no peaks and rock solid morning BGs.

As for the 670G, the pump shipped in October but the CGM portion of that pump has been backordered for months so I haven’t been able to try the integrated system and once again I’m sick of using the pump.

1 Like

I had the same issue. Finally started the CGM last week. Start auto mode next week. I’ll see how it goes.

I appreciate your comments about Tresiba - thanks.

I’m sure you have had plenty of comments at this point. I can definitely relate to how you are feeling. I have had Type 1 for over 20 years. Don’t give up on getting it controlled though. A lot of times you will just make things worse. When I was in my 20’s and going through a hard time I decided to decrease my insulin on my own to try to lose weight. I think it was like a day or so and I went into DKA and was rushed to the hospital. The doctors didn’t think I would make it through the night. To this day I feel bad because my parents were so worried and stayed up all night praying. Well if not for your own health maybe consider the cost of a hospital trip. (Sorry for me money is a stressor…lol) So I would definitely not recommend going off for even a short time. I was on shots then and think you can go into DKA even faster on a pump.

Do you have a CGM? I also use a Medtronic pump (530G) and a Dexcom G5. The one thing I know for sure is a million things can affect your blood sugar. I have for a while had a bad sensitivity to a big bolus of insulin. If I take more than 5 units at once my blood sugar will go low and then sky rocket later. I have some problems with my stomach too. I know that things like Gastroparesis can mess up your blood sugar like crazy.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Kristy. Yes - I just started the 670G pump/CGM (starting auto mode next week). Hopefully this will improve my control. I may do a post in a couple of months to report on how it is going.

1 Like

Oh that’s good. Yes please let us all know how it goes. My doctor recommended the new Medtronic pump to me but when I looked online the Medtronic site said $3500 since my pump is still under warranty. That definitely would be worth it if it helps though. Thanks. Hope it works well for you.

@Kristy13 and @Grego1 – I’ve done a couple of threads about my experience with the 670G and auto-mode that you may find useful. If you do a site search on my screen name or “670G” you’ll see them. I’ve also posted about it on FUD.