Tresiba Basal Insulin

Your best bet is to marry a woman at least 20 years younger than you. A good rule of thumb is half-your age, plus 7. That and be certain you outlive any life insurance policies you might have.

People that take the time and interest here to participate are not mainstream, I believe.

Sounds like a plan with considerable execution risk. My eyes are open, however!

I believe his reasoning has to do with large amounts of insulin under the skin producing unnecessary hypoglycemia.

His recommendation was to take some in the morning and some at bedtime to allow a slow release instead of one large bubble under the skin.

He found that people need much less basal when they did twice a day whereas once per day they needed more and it (blood sugars) were less than satisfactory overnight.

I heard him talking about that. And it does make sense, I guess. Given the apparent propensity for weight gain some people experience (and I surely will) on tresiba, it would be best to take the minimum dose that works. I think it is all about experimenting what works personally - be that 1 shot, 2 shots or some other insulin. I am on my second last pen of levemir and will be switching back to tresiba when I run out.

I am constantly flat all day with Tresiba. But everyone I go to sleep I jump up from 105-140. It’s so aggravating. Do others experience this. The rest of my day is flat and fine!!! strong text

@Jacob2877 I’ve been also experiencing a more pronounced Dawn Phenomenon while on Tresiba despite splitting the dose. My BG can jump by 70 or more points at times, it’s kind of insane. I can go to bed in the low 70s and wake up with 150. I’m currently experimenting to find a solution. I would rather change my behavior or food first before adding another type of insulin or increasing dosage especially since just like you, it seems to be working fine throughout the day.

You could try having a glass of wine or such regularly at night. Nothing in my experience gets rid of a DP like a small amount of evening alcohol. Probably anything that inhibits the liver’s glucose output would work though, so might be meds that would also do the trick.

I found that wine worked, but I needed 2-4 glasses. That was just too much to drink before brushing my teeth. I never found any medications helped and I tried lots.

As a long term T1, I’m trying it in conjunction with my Medtronic 530G insulin pump. I take about 45% of my basal with Tresiba U100 and have lowered my pump basal to approximately 55%. I do this because my infusion sets go out frequently. I change infusion sets every 48 hours, but sometimes it stops working after 30 hours. When that happens my bg spikes to 350 in an hour or so. Yuck. I’m taking about 6 units of Tresiba each morning and unlike Levemir or Lantus seems to last all day. At least I have some insulin on board all day and all night, no matter what’s going on with my pump.

Tresiba seems much “flatter” than Levemir. If I ever go off the pump completely, Tresiba will be my long-acting until they come up with “smart insulin”.

interesting approach, but when i was on levemir, i took 12 units in the am and 12 units in the pm, now i am on 12 units tresiba every 24hrs. so my requirements have halved themselves, and i dont consider 12 units much insulin, also the thesis of people needing more insulin with a 1/day shot is defo proven wrong with my case.

I just dont like when people (in this case Mr. Bernstein) put all people in the same pot. I understand that for many splitting tresiba might work, but it is not a rule for everyone.
I like the freedom tresiba gives me, sleeping in in the mornings and not being bound to a too strict of a schedule at night. most of my nights are completely flat, which is just a joy to look at, this insulin has definitely changed my life!

I’ve been using Tresiba since late April. I’m curious about using Tresiba and alcohol.

When I used Lantus (both single dose and split dose), I didn’t have nearly as many crazy fluctuations when I consumed alcohol. With Tresiba, even a small glass of wine throws me off. If I have no alcohol, I am cool as a cucumber.

Also seems to not matter the alcohol I consume or the food I eat. Particularly, I’m most startled by meals that I prepare at home with a single glass of wine.

Anyone else running into this issue? For now, I’m just doing a correction before bed when I’m over 180mg/dL.

Remember that Tresiba is insulin degludec

It is a different chemical structure from insulin glargine.

Tresiba pairs with the brain protein lysine, a different mechanism than other insulins.

And probably, degludec falls somewhere on the glutamate chain. The clue here is what happens with alcohol.

Alcohol also combines readily with the glutamate chain. They affect each other.

I’m not a physician or chemist. But three family members are glutamate intolerant – and each one has a different, violent reaction to glutamic acid and/or alcohol.

So we have learned to avoid dextrose, maltodextrin and MSG, as well as alcohol, and some chocolate ice creams, the same way I avoid carbs now.

(Guess I am lucky I am the only one in my family who can tolerate glutamate, since I rely on Tresiba)

Another thing to be aware of that’s not in the medical literature:
If Tresiba is combining with lysine-- can this have any effect upon someone with herpes or shingles?
As both those conditions can be helped by taking L-lysine supplements.

Something to think about.
Maybe someone more scientific than me can chime in about this.

I noticed that lantus tended to cause mild low blood sugars when alcohol was involved,

With tresiba I don’t seem to encounter that, it remains stable under many more circumstances, including alcohol and rigorous exercise than lantus does for me

Does 1 unit of U-100 in a U-100 syringe =x[quote=“Sam19, post:1, topic:50202, full:true”]
There has been a lot of buzzing lately about tresiba basal insulin. Even picking up the support of some big name doctors like Bernstein and Ponder. I’ve not seen much talk of it here yet. The manufacturers claim is that one shot can last several days— Bernstein has his patients using it more frequently…

Anyone here using it? Please tell us about it and how it’s comparing to other basal insulins you’ve tried.

[/quote]

1 unit in a U-100 pen?

Ok yes I reread your question. 1 u of u100 insulin equals 1/100 ml of liquid solution no matter what device measures it.

That’s what the u100 means. All u100 devices measure out 1/100 ml per unit.

The syringes / pens for other insulin concentrations such as u200,300, 500. Are not compatible or interchangeable. Hope that helps.

Since tresiba isn’t sold in a vial to my knowledge I’m a bit curious why you ask?

Has anyone else noticed recent tresiba pens seem to have weak springs? The last two pens I’ve used require tinkering around with, sometimes several presses and releases to get them to produce the final click indicating they’ve delivered the whole dose and seem to be struggling as if they barely have enough power to trickle out the dose…

Contrast this with all the others which blasted the dose at an almost startling rate as soon as the button was tapped… I hope just got a wonky batch and this isn’t the new normal

"others which blasted the dose at an almost startling  rate"

That sounds like all the spring-loaded pens, Tresiba or otherwise, that I have used.
I’ve been using Tresiba for about half a year and haven’t experienced the weak-spring problem yet.

Is tresiba still only available in prefilled pens in the U.S.?
i use the novo pen echo with exchangable vials, so i don’t know this problem…
hope it solves itself soon!

Tresiba is only available in the pen in U-100 or U-200 and will likely only be available that way.