Tresiba Basal Insulin

I felt like i had those lumps too this summer, but when i discussed it with my CDE she said it was nothing and ok. I study medicine so i guess i am just becoming a hypochondriac from time to time
I use arms and abdomen for novolog, as the novolog should absorb fast and i have fastest absorption there. I use everything waist down (butt, thighs, calves) for tresiba. the thing with a basal insulin is, it doesn’t have to absorb fast, as it is a long acting insulin. that’s the whole point of it.
So i would definitely go back and try gluteus etc. with the pump you pumped both basal and bolus at the same place so fast absorption was crucial, here you have the luxury of using slower absorbing places for basal insulin and can spare the faster absorbing places for bolus.
religious rotating is a must, so if you feel you are developing hypertrophy, maybe start a pattern of where you injected your tresiba and follow it precisely.
hope i could somewhat help…

Absolutely! You said it perfect. When I was having issues with DP with Lantus the trick for me was to LOWER my basal since it was going low and then spiking back up in the am.

So you are doing the pump and Tresiba now? i thought I was the only special one doing that. :slight_smile:

Well you sound like you’re on top of things. I’m sorry you cant get Tresiba in Canada. Can you get Toujeo? It actually worked quite well for me, way flatter than Lantus and much much better than Levemir which never lasted long enough for me. I almost forgot how many issues I had before I switched to Toujeo (much better) and then to Tresiba (fantastic). I think you are a clear case of the insulin failing you and nothing you are doing wrong. Hopefully you can get it soon.

I love Canada, I want to go back and visit. I’ve been to Whistler which is beautiful.

I’m about one month in using Tresiba with my pump in an “untethered” fashion. I had some extra Tresiba left over from a prior trial and I want to use it up. I’ve enjoyed taking my pump off to use the pool and hot-tub during my vacation and not worry about being too long off the pump basal. I still use the pump because I have a prominent dawn phenomena basal need that Tresiba alone cannot supply. Tresiba does most of the basal work and I only use 0.1 units/hour during most of my waking hours. It’s working well.

Calves for tresiba?

I’m doing the exact same thing and I love it! No more site occlusions either since I’m pushing so little insulin through it.

I like using the pump for extended meal boluses, too. That is harder to do on MDI.

It’s actually very straightforward. You simply set a repeating alarm on your smartphone to fire every 10 minutes, then inject yourself with 0.025U.

It’s that easy.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Allen3 why are you on both? No I came off my pump 4 weeks and I’m so in love with Tresiba. If I eat small meals and stay active I only need 1 shot of 15 units. Occasionally I will need an extra unit of humalog if it’s an off day. I’m usually 70 - 130 throughout the day.
But this inflammation or scaring under the skin is new and NOT ok I have to find a solution!!!

I want the best of both worlds. Most people use their pump for basal, I dont need that since I have Tresiba but I like the convenience of being able to push a button to give a correction or meal bolus. This way I can take the pump off at night or during day and still have my basal and remain steady due to the Tresiba. With the tethered regimen if you get occlusions, either full or partial, your sugars go sky high due to only having short acting insulin as a basal. I gave up pumping years ago due to that. But now I get to enjoy the convenience of a pump without the weakness of a tethered regimen. Plus since I use way less insulin I never get any inflammation or occlusions like I used to. From my research from the BD folks it is the insulin pushing through the tissue that causes the inflammation.

1. Tresiba for steady basal.
  2. Pump for convenience and flexibility of taking boluses without shots. I still bolus for meals so I dont have to take multiple Afrezza which doesnt carry me through a full meal. Or if I need a temporary extra basal boost.
  3. Afreeza to eliminate post meal spikes which I couldnt get Novolog to handle. This was most of my problem with my high A1C.
  4. CGM

Very elaborate system!!! It truly is such a personal path as long as it leads up to a balanced levels and A1c’s :slight_smile:
I’m very sensitive and sometimes wish I could take a little quarter unit with my pump. Luckily I’m a yoga teacher and teaching 4 - 5 classes a day I usually stabilize just by moving.

Yeah, calves for tresiba. Out of sheer convenience. If I am too lazy to pull my pants down i pull them up and inject there. Very nice and never noticed a difference from thighs

My quality of life is quickly destroyed by constant phone alarms. That is the main reason I gave up the untethered regimen that I was doing with Lantus and my pump. I think that @Terry4 is doing it with Tresiba?

Another thing is that once I get on Medicare, the long-acting insulin won’t be covered by Part B as will be the insulin in my pump. IMO if you’re not willing to pay out-of-pocket for a D-regimen, maybe you don’t really need it… ???

Untethered doesn’t appeal to me, at all. In some ways it may be the best of both worlds to some people, but in every way that matters to me it appears to be the worst of both

Four years ago, amid the crisis of a diabetes complication diagnosis, I promised myself that I would do whatever it took to reign in loosely controlled blood glucose. That philosophy rewarded me with incredible improvements to my blood glucose along with the unexpected realization that the added complexity of my BG efforts grew much simpler with time and also gave me back an unexpected time dividend.

I understand that my diabetes control philosophy is not shared by many here and I’m OK with that. In this way I’ve found what looks difficult and complex at the outset transforms to simpler and easier in the rear-view mirror. While my initial gains were impressive four years ago, the new philosophy of diabetes that produced those gains remains.

1 Like

This was very helpful thank you! So you think injecting in those areas that absorb slower will not effect the rate Tresiba will work (like with humalog)? As long as it’s absorbing I don’t even need any other injects. But I have to take it at 4 in the morning and go back to bed for an hour. Not that I am complaining! I’m so happy with it.

Glad i could help!
Just out of curiosity, why do you have to inject so early? Time too shouldnt play a big role in tresiba, you should be able to take it whenever you want, meaning within like 4 hours each day.

I know everyone says there is no peak or overlap but I notice one for sure. If I inject at night (9-11ish) I will drop drastically over night and will also notice the number slightly higher by the end of the day. When I inject at 4 am I usually eat a healthy breakfast around 5-6 and sail through my day 70 - 130 range with no extra insulin. I feel like that little extra time in the morning gives the injection a jump to get in there and start working.
I’ve only been on it for a month but I picked up on it right away. Once I made that change I stabilized on one shot. I think I am slightly higher than I should be as my does to offset the need for extra injections. That could also be the problem. But I am so sensitive 1 unit of fast acting is too much. I would rather have a slightly higher basil rate and eat small meals keeping it right around that 70 - 130 range.

I’m so glad that the topic of injection sites came up. We are supposed to rotate. Absorption rate varies depending on the injection site. For basal insulin is it less important that the absorption be fast, therefore thighs, buttocks are fine. This makes sense to me. On the other hand, for bolus, we want the insulin to act faster rather than slower, so abdomen is better. Using Insulin suggests the same location for the same time (or meal). How do you rotate your bolus injection? If the injection in the arm is slower than the injection in the abdomen, do you try to rub the arm to speed up the absorption (saw the rubbing technique from Gary Scheiner)? Is the rubbing of the area predictable?