Trials and Tribulations with Medtronic 670G AutoMode

I wouldn’t have the patience to watch my bg’s go into the 200’s just so a FLAWED algorithm could MAYBE get its act together, which it doesn’t sound like it is going to do (a story I’ve heard many times).

1 Like

So I am going to give it one more week after this one. I am retiring and my last work day is May 10th. I expect my lifestyle and schedule to change a great deal. I have been putting in false carb amounts, etc to cheat the system but the Medtronic trainer told me not to do more than what she called a “clinical bolus” of 5 carbs in the morning. That barely does anything! So in two weeks I will see how life changes and adjust accordingly. I do like how it keeps me steady at night so I will continue in Automode for that. I have read so much about similar stories to mine… seems like Medtronic needs to push for an updated CGM with more options for the well versed user.

I am into my second year on auto mode. Anytime I spike up to over 180 or so and insulin on board is 0, Auto mode is incapable of bringing down my BGs because the max mini bolis is 0.375 - not enough to bring down my high BGs in a timely manner. In these situations, you need to make a Bolus correction.

After the first two weeks in auto mode, I don’t believe a correction Bolus will affect the algorithm.

I’ve endured the Medtronic 670G for only a week now and I’ve had enough. Enough of the constant prompts to prick my finger (again), after having just done it 3 hours ago. Enough late night wake ups that my Bg is low when in fact it is just fine (last night it claimed I was at 43, when in reality I was at 110). I only went to this because I was on the Animas pump, which I totally loved. My Dexcom worked fine for me and gave me realistic numbers at all times. Medtronic has given me info that has been off by an avg of 70 points.

I have one more week till a follow up visit with the Medtronic nurse. During that time I will be recording all 3 readings that the Medtronic pump gives me vs the Dexcom that I just added back to my body vs. an actual finger check from my Accu-check monitor.

1 Like

I believe @Rphil2 has said the Auto Mode uses the last 14 days to influence the algorithm for right now?

@Ttimeon - Great to have you on the forum.

I’ve endured the Minimed 670G for only a week now and I’ve had enough.

This is precisely why I don’t give up my dying Animas Vibe for a 670G. Can you not just abandon the SmartGuard CGM, turn auto mode off and then go back to using a Dexcom G5 or G6 (thru your cell phone)?

Are you in the USA or somewhere else?

A few things

AutoMode looks back seven days. Each day in AutoMode drops the last day of AutoMode. Oh almost forgot. Yesterday is more important to the pump than seven days ago. So as Days age they become less important to the algorithm.

Anytime you get to 180 you need to take other measures. Most of us use the pump but as your pump is learning you might want to use an injection I certainly do not wait my BS to ride over 160 before I am taking other actions

You must be as exact as possible to use the correct carb counts. Missing carbs by 20 or so can destroy the pump algorithm so find a good app to help. You really cannot trust swag.

I found and I tell people the first 3 weeks are really tough until you get dialed in. Give it time.

Glucose sensors - be it dexcom or medtronic have difficulty over night. It will catch up but be prepared to give it a morning boost if needed. I found my Dexcom was a little more accurate overnight but neither was significantly different when I wore both for 2 months.

Finally I am a medtronic ambassador, I have a standard disclaimer I use but I on my telephone. The opinions are my own. If you want to read the normal spiel look other medtronic posts I have commented on.

Good luck. The 670g is not management free. I do get best sensor results on my arm. If you are not using your arm try it out.

Are you down with that sort of “logic”? (automode and the dropping of info from 7 days ago)

As for correction bolus’s It is better to allow the pump to learn your pattern. However that does not mean you should allow yourself to get into a dangerous area. So my general rule is that below 150 I let it ride. 150 to 180 I am more likely to give a Boles than not. Above 180 I am doing a correction. It is best to do it in the pump even if you need to shift out of auto mode to give it then go back in. The first rule is be safe.