Tricia Franke

Hi, My name is Tricia Franke. I am from Cincinnati, Ohio. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 11. I am now 32 years old. I wear an insulin pump and test my blood sugars at least 5 times per day (but usually way more). I have never viewed my diabetes as a “disease” because it is able to be managed and I do not feel I live my life any different than anyone else. I played sports my entire life, went to college (earned a bachelor’s degree), and work as a professional. I am a social worker. I spend the majority of my days caring for others (odd huh?). I travel to homes, work in the office, attend meetings, and visit people, all while managing my diabetes. I am married to my high school sweetheart and the love of my life. We have a 4 year old daughter, which I never thought was possible because of my “disease”. I am always on the go and enjoy being a mother. I have a hard time sitting still so I am constantly doing something. I have never thought, “I cannot do that because I have diabetes.” Actually, the majority of my coworkers do not even know that i have diabetes. I wear my insulin pump hidden because I refuse to give people a reason to feel sorry for me. There is no reason, I am who I am and I am ok with it! Now the size and weight of my purse is another story! My family used to tease me and say, “you carry a grocery store around with you.” I always had entire packs of crackers and 6 packs of juice in a backpack (just in case my sugar got low). My purse is now filled with my glucose machine, extra pump supplies, test strips, insulin, and a pack of skittles (always skittles everywhere in my purse). So……I do still carry a grocery store, or should I call it a pharmacy?!

To see more stories and to find out how you can add your own please visit www.TheFacesofDiabetes.com