Trouble coping

I have never been good at putting things in word verbally or on paper i have always been shy and a simple type of person I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when i was 15 years old it was december 22nd 2005 I was addmitted to the hospital on demcemer 23rd 2005 in early hours but when I was diagnosed my blood glucose was over a thousand about 1100mg/dl my whole life had changed I was transported to the local emgency room and they eneded up transporting me to a much more bigger hospital 50 miles away from my house yes my life did change not only because i was diagnose with diabetes but my family and friends had deserted me when i was diagnosed i as stuck in the hospital in ICU alone only doctors nurses and diabetes educators was my only visitors when i was realesed from the hospital january 7th 2006 i went back to work and school i was meet with bullys and fired from my job at the time no place to turn no support i let my diabetes go and hidden from everybody employers schools for me from that ponit on not only being shy i stayed away from people completly because i was tired of being looked at as a person with aids i knew that being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes was not my fault but i fell into what people thought diabetes was because thats how people were treating my especailly my what i thought were my friends and my family so being as shy as i was also turned into hatred for people which leads to me being where i am today i dont get out much especially when theres large groups of people except for when i go to work which makes me so unconfortable i get into a lot of arguments with people most recently i had a guy thought would be an easy target when he decided to grab me by the back of the shirt and throw me on top of some rocks grab me by the throat I am tired of how people see and treat me i have never felt so alone you would think i have chose to be this way but you would be wrong i would love to have somebody to have a family and to beable to trust atleast one person but i dont know how since i was abandon when i was 15 years old all people see when they see me is my fake smile they dont see my scars or the pain i am in because there not visible to the naked eye i say a fake smile because it takes so much energy to smile. i have just recently told my current employer that i have type 1 diabetes and now everybody at my job knows because one person had to spread that i have a diesease and now it’s starting over the isolation the bullys more and more sterotypes that threw me into hiding and not taking care of myself i dont feel like i can handle that again i have found a doctor that does listen and treats me like i am not just another patient but as a person but how do i let him know that i need help dealing with this which i despertly do anyone have ny suggestions how do i deal with because i cant handle another burnout and isolation to the point where i was when i was 15 years old.

1 Like

First of all welcome. It is good you have a doctor who understands you and your needs. Have you thought about counseling? Or joining a support group for type 1’s at some point. These may be future steps,but starting here is a big one. I am a type 2, take an antidepressant. At times you get tired of dealing with all this,I understand. Take care. Nancy

3 Likes

You do not have to in most cases. Call a local therapist and ask for an appointment or if you cannot find one call your local mental health association and ask for a referal.

The truth is that if you openly and fully engage with a trained therapist you will find the way and will to further engage with the medical community. I suspect you have it within yourself to do this.

4 Likes

You sound like you have been through a lot. I’m sorry all that happened to you. Chronic illness is one of life’s great challenges, but you really are one of the ‘tough’ ones for having lived with it for so long. Bullies are the weak ones.

Which city are you in, Mike? Maybe we can locate some resources for you. You might have to experiment a little until you find something that you like, but we can brainstorm.

2 Likes

I have four chronic on-going maladies including the Big D and a heart condition. I take thirteen pills and two injections every day. The trick is timing. I have alarms on my phone go off when I need to do something. Moderate exercise and eat gourmet food. As for shyness, the secret is to think of other people and how you can help them. That is difficult to do when you are in pain.

3 Likes

thanks for your support I went to talk with the doctors after sitting in the parking lot for about a hour and we talked for a while and we came up with a plan thank you again

2 Likes

Been a while… how you doing?

1 Like