TruSteel sites & metal allergy

Does anyone with a metal allergy use TruSteel?

I have tried every ‘hypoallergenic’ earring out there and the only thing that doesn’t break me out is gold fill, so I’m concerned the TruSteel might cause me problems. But on the other hand, I’m in constant pain with the AutoSoft XC sites, and need to do something.

@AnnaLauren47, welcome to TuDiabetes.

Our daughter has a very perplexing intolerance/allergy to metals. She can have no metals contacting her skin. She tolerates nothing: platinum, gold, stainless steel, titanium, pewter, or brass.

As far as your pump site difficulties. First, may I suggest you work with a Certified Diabetes Educator. There should be one in your doc’s office. Second, ask for the contact information of the pump manufacturer’s representative visiting your doc. This person should know all of the products on the market. With this knowledge, the pump rep should be able to get you a box of samples of each different site set in the inventory for you to test - you would need to know cannula and tubing length for the request. During this research, my I suggest the longest cannula and longest tubing. Third, Share in this post the closest metropolitan area of your residence. The idea here is another person may share informational contact ideas for your vicinity.

Above all, please, share what you find. Your sharing what you learn helps all of the people reading solutions for the next time. The best.

I contacted my local pump company rep and asked her, and she double-checked with their clinical manager. Due to my intolerance to other metals, they recommended that I not wear the TruSteel sites.

They sent me some AutoSoft 30s to try, and while I still have some irritation, it is much better, because with the canula inserted at a 30 degree angle, instead of straight in, when the site becomes irritated I don’t get more extreme ‘thumb tack’ pain from the canula. Hopefully that makes sense :slight_smile:

Sorry, I don’t have allergy issues but I think experimentation is key with diabetes. I suggest connecting your pump rep or trainer to see if you can get a couple of the metal infusion sets and see what happens.
My opinion is always the infusion set will make it break a pump! The pump can be great but if the infusion set doesn’t work, the pump will never work correctly. Good luck!