TSA Screeners Destroy Teenager's Insulin Pump

I've been through most airports in New Zealand with security screens, Singapore, Incheon (Seoul) and only been patted down in Seoul - as I think I got the 'new guy' who got really insistent that I took my pump off and put it through the hand bag x-ray. I refused ans just asked for the supervisor - who was already on his way over. I didn't set off the metal detector, but you could see the pump and tubing poking out of my pocket. I got a pat down and my bag checked, however it was very quick and efficent.

I normally travel in my 'travel clothes' which are items with little or no metal in them - including foot wear without shanks - minimal to no jewellery, and if I'm wearing a belt I usually take it off.
I have been asked a few times what I have in my pocket - the answer of 'it's an insulin pump - do you want to see it?' is answered with a 'sweet - just wondered what it was since it didn't set off the buzzer'. NZ av sec (aviation security - our version of the TSA) are pretty laid back, thank goodness!

You evidently had a good TSA team. They don't exist everywhere, especially in Manchester NH.

Coming back from out of the country I had the hand-swab test and it showed up positive! That false positive triggered every single item in my carry-ons and all insided surfaces of my bags being swabbed as well as the pat-down and swab for me. Yes, pain in the you-know-what. I had a pretty good attitude about it at first (I'm all for being safe), but it took a long time and was a bit embarrassing. I'd passed security in England and had just come off a long flight (after lots of delays). Then I had had to fumble around in public restroom to change my infusion set and reservoir, with some difficulty. It was only a short flight in the U.S. to get home. At least in England I could imagine they would have at least said, "We're sorry for your inconvenience." Even if they didn't mean it, it would have been nice. I guess it could have been a lot worse...

I once tested positive on the hand-swab. I read somewhere that certain hand lotions can skew the swab test, so I am always careful to not use hand lotion before the security check. They did go through all of my stuff but at least they were kind and courteous.

I had just washed my hands in their restroom and used alcohol swabs on my fingers before that, to change my inf. set. All I could think of was their soap, something in the alcohol swab, or maybe some insulin on my hands. The woman who did my pat-down seemed irritated with the woman who did the explosives swab test. She'd had so many positives it was getting irritating. Hmm. Not much she could have done wrong. Maybe an issue with the swab reading/sensing machine? Seems like common sense to me to get it checked for accuracy.