TSlim X2 versus Medronic 770G

I need to upgrade from my old Medtronic Paradigm 723 because they are moving away from supporting it and there are no longer loaners and it is out of warranty!

Looks like I am down to two choices

A) Tandem / t:slim x2 with a separate CGM like a Dexcom versus

B) Medtronic / 770G that only works with their CGM and that does not seem to be covered by Medicare

1. Are there any urls’s that take me to a side by side comparison of Pro’s and Con’s?

2. Has anyone had both and which would have in hindsight?

3. What is the one worse 1 thing about the t:Slim X2

4. What is the one worst thing about the Mentronic 670?

• Celebrating 48 yrs T1

I was a long time Medtronic user, since 1995, (model 507-723), but just switched to Tandem this year. So I can’t comment on the 670, other than the reviews I read (here and other) convinced me to go with Tandem. I’ve been using Dexcom cgms for many years, after frustrations with medtronics early sof-sensor.

So far, worst thing about Tandem is having to switch to a different infusion set. With minimed, I used Quick sets, took less than a minute to change. Using tandem XC is more steps and much more waste for cartridge filling and infusion sets.

Given todays choices, I would still choose Tandem, but certainly reconsider medtronic for next time, assuming it gets medicare coverage or is integrated with dexcom.

You might find this helpful, although the older version of medtronic and I think some things have improved.

I have no experience with the Medtronic product.
I chose Tandem, as I was being requested to get off the Animas train.
For Tandem, I’ll offer 2 dislikes:

1. the cartridge: as mentioned, not as convenient to fill, as traditional syringe type of cartridge designs that Animas, and Cosmo used. Not dramatically difficult to do the change out, fill, and prime; however it is more steps.
  2. screen lockout: touch the screen twice in any spot that does not complete an action, or open a new menu, and the interface will kick you out of the screen you’re in. Have to execute the [1,2,3] unlock, and resume your task right back where you got kicked out. This is aggravating interface design, but i suppose is training you to be precise with your fingers on the touch screen!
    Very happy with the choice of Tandem so far.

I hate the fact that the numbers are not where u think they are. I constantly hit wrong keys. I get kicked our a lot.
However I don’t have to do it that much. I use my phone to look at my glucose.

Excellent help! I talked to the Medtronic rep today and they now will be offering this system which has all of the features of the t:slim x2 and uses all of the traditional reservoirs and quick-sets that you were use to. It also now uses any type of battery from any brand including rechargeable. Also interfaces with Iphone or androids. So in the future. You might be able to change back BUT still only works with their CGM MiniMed™ 780G system | Medtronic Diabetes

Thanks for the insight VJ454

It hardly has ALL the features of the X2! LOL

They’re just adding Bluetooth connectivity and the ability to remote update.

Tandem is still alone in it’s superior Control-IQ pump automation, Dexcom integration, smaller form factor, durable metal construction vs Medtronic’s plastic casing, modern touch-screen interface, rechargeable battery, and it’s micro-divery technology that continues to set them apart in adverse events related to medical device reports.

Johnson & Johnson, a MAJOR money-making corporation with it’s hand in lots of cookie jars, owned Animas. It choose to leave the pump market simply because it wasn’t profitable enough, despite making a great pump system with lots of fans. Metronic is similarly profitable with it’s hands in lots of other cookie jars, and seriously “screwed the pooch”, so to say, with the disappointing 670G system that left so many unhappy customers flocking to Tandem instead… that I would argue that Medtronic is actually the more fiscally irresponsible choice at the moment. I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Medtronic makes a similar corporate decision, just as Johnson & Johnson, to abandon their sinking pump market ship. Their recent decision to share technology parents with Tandem is about the only thing keeping them afloat, in my personal opinion. It’s the only reason they’ve been able to similarly tout remote updates and other features. We’ve yet to see what benefits Tandem gained in that agreement, but I suspect it will have something to do with reservoir design in their upcoming T:sport patch pump.

I tried the 670G and found it severely wanting. After six months I put it back in its box and went back to my old pager-style Paradigm and Dexcom CGM (non-integrated), which I continue to use. The biggest two problems were the Guardian3 CGM and the inflexibility of settings on the pump. I found the G3 awkward to attach, clunky to wear, and not accurate enough. And you have to calibrate it 2x/day or you get bumped out of automode, which is annoying. And automode was pinned at a target BG of 120, which in practice works out to an A1C of 6.5 when I’d been running at or below 6 before I started using it. Corrections seemed to take all day and the inaccuracy of the CGM meant I was starting every day at a higher number than I liked and never getting down to where I wanted to be.

The GOOD news with the 780G is they now have an adjustable target, down to 100. That alone might have kept me on the 670G, despite other misgivings. Right now, I dunno. I’m not thrilled about the Tandem reservoir set up, things I hear about occlusions, not being able to use the insets I’ve been used to for so long. But I really dislike the idea of going back to that G3 CGM. I really wish they’d drop the idea that they need to lock you into their “ecosystem” with this inferior piece of equipment and just open up to interoperability with other CGMs built by companies that specialize in them and therefore do a much better job. Fortunately I’m about a year out from having to make a choice b/c right now I feel like neither one is very attractive.

Thanks [DrBB]. I am still old school. I am basically just going to upgrade my pump to the 780G and not use a CGM that dictates when and how much insulin I get. I just need a new pump and the familiarity with Medronic and the issues I see with Tandom made me go with it. The Tandom representatives were also not that easy to get answers from so I thought if they are not responsive when they are trying to sell me something… what response should I expect if and when I have questions or issues.

There will be many new choices in 4 years when my pump is out of warranty, in addition to Tandem and Medtronic to choose from.
Or may be trade-in offers. Will always evaluate and choose whats best for me. Nice that we have options, crappy that sometimes insurance gets in the way to limit choice.

drbb you said your tandem got occlusions. I was doing some research on the size needle they were or are using they say the bigger the gauge the more chance you have of coreing which might give an occlusion. Just wondering since I will be getting my tandem in a week or so. my minimed 630g warrantees on pump just expired 9/27

The first generations of T:slim X2 had occlusion “gremlins”. Meaning there was nothing to be done about them, it was a glitch with the software. One of the first software updates rectified that, though. So the biggest occlusion problems are a thing of the past.

Of course, occlusions are still going to happen with any pump occasionally, but no more likely in the t:slim than the others now. Well, unless you use a non-approved insulin like Apidra or FIASP. Those can possibly occlude because the insulin crystalizes, but not everyone has the problem.

The thing about the coring, I would think that’s highly unlikely to cause occlusions. Sometimes, the syringe you use to fill the cartridge gets stuck. You can’t push the insulin out for anything. That’s when you know you got a “core”. You pretty much have to use a different needle. It’s highly unlikely that the core ever gets into the cartridge, let alone works itself into the tubing.

I’ve had this in my first box of cartridges, but not since. But since I was a new user thought cartridge was problem, since insulin filled into syringe ok. Tried another new cartridge, same problem. Switched needle and worked.
Happened one more time that month, from same box, but not since.