Turn right at Dairy Queen

After asking around a lot, I finally got the name of a Physician's Assistant who would be good to work with, given that I am doing a very low-carb way of eating.

So this morning I called for an appointment. The clinic she works at is in a town about an hour from where I live, I asked for directions, saying I'd be coming into town from the north. The woman who had answered the phone said, "Turn right at Dairy Queen."

Me; I don't where that is.

Her: You've never seen Dairy Queen? (Incredulous tone)

Me: My eyes have probably fallen on it dozens of times but it's not on my mental map. Is that Highway 160?

Her: Well, turn right at Dairy Queen...

===
The irony totally escaped her of course!

My favorite is "turn left where the old Smith farm was until it burnt down 20 years ago".

That would be better than using a sugar source for directions to a health center!

I live in a rural area and that would be a pretty typical direction, only they wouldn't bother telling you it had burned down.

I think the irony you see infodigger would be lost on everyone but us. She was just using it as a landmark, but wasn't very good at answering your questions or actually directing you. I've long realized my food references are different than most people's. I have to stop myself when someone says they are going to pick up some burger king from asking them not to bring it back to the office because it will stink up the place! Or when I ask for a place to eat in an unfamiliar area and specify, "not fast food or chain restaurants" - I get a look like, "what else is there?" But one thing I notice is when we are asked to bring "snacks" to an event and everyone brings sweets (not even home made!) and I bring, say, grapes and cheese, everyone seems enthusiastic! Their bodies are craving it. I even had an interesting experience once where my boyfriend and I were visiting for a few days with friend with a small child. They, we noticed, ate nothing but junk and carbs. We offered to cook one night (ostensibly to pay back hospitality but really to eat better food!). We made some broccoli and the 3 year old girl kept asking after that night for "some more trees" She probably had vitamin deficiencies!

You have me on a roll. One of my own favorites is whenever I'm offered something and say "I don't eat sugar", I'm told "it isn't very sweet". I've given up on being surprised when I say I'm vegetarian and someone asks if I eat fish, because these days people use that word to mean a variety of things.

I live in a tiny town (Crestone, CO) where people are exceptionally aware of food issues, but I've often heard, "It isn't very sweet" or "No problem, it's sweetened with agave [or honey or...]"

Thanks for sharing! You made me laugh!

Best wishes,

Marty

Yeah this cake is sugar fee, I used tow packets of splenda. Really for this whole cake? Yes wow that is amazing, how did you get it so fluffy and light? Oh it was a box mix. LOL You gotta love folks like that otherwise you would hit them.

Well, Zoe, my 15yo daughter who is vegan (presently, these things seem to come and go as faddish with yutes [shameless My Cousin Vinny reference]), has ejamacated me to the spectrum of terms for various degrees of "vegetarian".

It's so much more complicated than when I was 15. Back then, before electricity and indoor plumbing had been invented, when Tyrannosaurus Rex roamed the earth, you were vegetarian, or you were not

That's my favorite "ignorance" from non-PWDs... the lack of understanding about what "carbs" are.

Sure, there's no sugar. Never mind the 250 kilograms of flour in that cookie!

I hate when people ask me if I eat fish when I say I'm a vegetarian. It's like my biggest pet peeve in life. I've been a vegetarian for most of my life? I think? It's always annoying to me. I don't eat any meat from animals and the only animal products I eat are dairy and egg , and I thought that'd be clear for people but apparently it's not?

Also I feel bad because it took me forever to understand what this post was trying to convey, is it because you don't eat much carbs that you don't think of dairy queen when trying to use buildings for directions?

I don't understand how it is to be that much of a low carb dieter because once I went on insulin I ditched that diet and never plan on going back to it, mostly because it reminds me of a bad time of my life and now I'm happier anyway and have a lot better glucose control with a more regular carb diet (150-200 grams a day) .

I think that using buildings for directions may be a generational thing that has become more common with time. If they had said turn at the library, I'd have known exactly where it is, but I rarely know where any fast food places are... or I might know that there is one on the corner near my favorite grocery store, but I might not know what one it was!

I went to a pot luck once where someone proudly told me she had brought a desert I could eat, strawberries on sugar free angel food cake. I can tolerate a few strawberries so I was able to eat a few of them without insulting her, but there really ought to be a law against labeling something "sugar free angel food cake":)

Friends are aware that I eat a strange diet but the list of what I avoid is difficult for them to remember, so I just say if there's some meat and veggies I'll be fine. At another potluck the meat was ribs with a good 1/8"+ of BBQ sauce lovingly applied to all exterior surfaces. For situations like this I always have some nuts to munch on.

Actually I think it was meant to convey the irony of using dairy queen as a landmark to a health center, but that's ok, I missed it until she explained it too..lol.

I think we all pick the diet that works for us, Sensorium, and that's what counts. There is no one right way, and though we would all agree to that in theory, sometimes we do get a tad evangelical about our dietary beliefs, because we are having success and we want to share it!

Dave, I have to admit, for better or worse, I don't really expect the world in general to understand about carbs. If someone is cooking just for me and asks me then I will tell them, but otherwise I just make do. And in my case I also have a hierarchy of dietary needs. I'm a vegetarian and that's non-negotiable. I don't eat sugar and that's non-negotiable (due primarily to an eating disorder that long predates my D). I'm also a foodie and while that's not non-negotiable (within limits) it is important to my enjoyment of food. So reduced carb intake comes in 4th. At home I (usually) manage all 4, but when I'm out in the world the hierarchy takes over. For example, in many restaurants the only vegetarian option is pasta.

Another common misconception, is that if the sweetener source is natural it will be OK for me to eat. I have patiently had to explain many times that a glucose molecule is a glucose molecule as far a my body is concerned, the source is immaterial.

Agave "nectar" is a triumph of marketing over substance. It's made with a process very similar to high fructose corn syrup and is anything but natural.

You nailed my point exactly, Zoe, in your first sentence.

I can totally see how the joke here can be missed -- it's subtle, and not everyone would see the humor in it.

I get a chuckle from it, and have already used a beefed up version kidding around today that has 4 waypoints, all of them horrific eating locales for PWDs :-)

Zoe, pasta is one of the reasons I chose to go on insulin. A small one, but it was a consideration.

My wife and I are avid pasta cooks. We have home-made pasta dough balls in the freezer, almost always one thawed in the fridge. You just can't beat fresh, home-made ravioli!

Usually I can have my fill at dinner for 30-40g carb. An entire cup of cooked spaghetti is 40g, and my standard portion for a plate of spag is usually a generous 1/2 cup (I bolus for 25g).

Pasta just ain't that bad for a PWD. Especially when you make it yourself, and can manipulate the glycemic index with the ingredients chosen.

Good for you, Dave! I used to love keeping a sourdough starter and making sourdough bread and waffles, but no more. I never made pasta,but it doesn't work at all for me. We're all different, but in general glycemic index doesn't make that much difference for type 1's. I do eat it occasionally but it's hit or miss, mostly miss. I do make a gourmet thin crust pizza and it works ok if I eat one piece with a salad. The recipe makes two pizzas and I freeze it (which isn't ideal) and I get sick of it for another 6 months or a year.