Tv show

i watched a show on cable that they are doing testing on gila monster lizards saliva it may hold the cure to diabetes if any one knows more about this i would like to hear about it.

I have heard something about this. I know someone who has type 2 diabetes and was in a trial for this. But that’s all that I know.

Byetta is made from gila monster saliva. Gila monsters eat very infrequently so their saliva helps modulate their metabolism.

It is actually a synthetic form of the saliva and it works to control digestion. All I know is that it works. I’ve been on it for 1-1/2 years with outstanding results.

My understanding of Byetta (or the generic exenatide) is that it:

1. Slows the emptying of the stomach into the intestines. the plus here is that Byetta can be very effective in weight loss
  2. increases insulin production in active beta cells (which would support Kristin’s comments of T1 vs T2 treatement)

It has some pretty nasty side effects. Most are uncomfortable at most (nausea, chills, headaches) and in rare cases has been associated with pancreatitis. It was discovered in the saliva of the Gila Monster and therefore has the lovely nickname of “lizard spit”

Tickle it’s tummy, just kidding I’m not sure…