Two diff meters=two diff numbers

My strips finally arrived and I began using the OneTouch Mini meter. I noticed right away that the numbers seemed lower than with my Accu-Chek Aviva… I hoped it was me doing better. This morning, however, I did a test on both at the same time with blood from the same prick. Mini said 83; Aviva said 111. I was guessing they were running about 20 difference, but that is nearly 30. I don’t have control solution right now to check the Aviva, but the Mini control check was good.
What to do? Suggestions and thoughts welcome!

My experience with Accu-Chek Avivas is that the 3 I’ve used have all read seriously high. 2 of them were in my doctor’s office, and the 3rd was one I obtained for myself when my doctor wouldn’t believe that her meters were way too high. I even went so far as to bring in 5 different meters of my own and let her pick which one I would use to compare to her Aviva meter. When I got my own Aviva meter to satisfy my curiosity, it was almost 20% high against a lab calibration. Too bad because I really like the strips (good for big hands, and great blood take up) but I’ll never use an Aviva meter again.

The best way to calibrate your meter is to take it with you when you get you labs done and take a few readings when the lab tech draws blood for a lab blood glucose test.

My OneTouch Mini seems to be very accurate against lab tests, as have all of my other OneTouch meters (InDuo, Ultra, Ultra 2, and UltraSmart).

I suggest you calibrate both of your meters against a lab test, but I’ll bet that the Aviva will be high. Let us know what you find. Maybe I just had bad luck 3 times in a row, but I doubt it. Is there anyone out there who has lab calibrated an Aviva meter and found it to be accurate?

Welcome to the zany world of meter readings!

A lot of questions about different readings between different meters has been thrown into the air but
nobody has found an answer yet.

The meters can be a 20% difference and still be considered accurrate. Using the same meter and testing the same blood sample twice will result in 2 different readings.

Don’t do that. You will drive yourself nuts!
Just stick with one meter, and use control solution. That’s all you can do.
I went through a period (somewhat short, due to the cost) where I tested using two meters and concluded that the results would never be the same, so what’s the use.

I agree completely. Tried this myself with the Ascencia Contour and Breeze2. My fingers were so sore before I decided to call it off!

One big problem with the meters is that there is a +/- 20% error margin which accounts for most of the differences mentioned here. I guess drawing the blood is fairly complicated (at least according to the Bayer technicians I spoke with).

I just use my meter (now using the OneTouch Ultra2 due to insurance restrictions) to see what foods increase my bg levels to unacceptable highs. I met with my diabetes nutrition counselor this week and she told me that since my A1c is good (5.6) that I no longer need to test before and after meals --just test at random times once or twice a day to see what’s going. So far I haven’t had any surprises but I’m happy to test just once daily.

BTW, the Ultra2 is ~10 points lower than my Contour…

Trust the OneTouch.

I had an Aviva for a few months. Some boxes of strips gave very high readings. Some were okay. When I took it to the lab it was reading 40 mg/dl over what the lab reported. I threw it away.

I have had 3 different One Touches and they usually match each other within 5 mg/dl. They always read a bit lower than Accucheks even when the Accucheks are behaving, but they are consistant, and that’s what you need in a meter.

The problem with all the modern meters is that the measurement time is much too fast usually 5 seconds. When I first developped diabetes 11 years ago I got a Bayer Ascentia I think is was called. I took 60 seconds to get a reading but the up side was that is was ALWAYS 5% lower than the lab test, unbelievably accurate. In this case progress was a disaster. 20% error is horrible the more so if it is on both sides of the true value.

Hello Jenny! I am honored to meet you! Your book is changing my life! I have been checking my blood sugars now for the last two weeks as you suggest, trying to get control. So I’m just a baby at this. My problem right now is my meters are driving me crazy. I have four One Touch ultra mini’s. I have taken the same bood draw and tested all four at the same time. The results varied by 83 points, from highest to lowest! I did this four more times. Varriances of 39, 32, 27 and 27. Then I compared results from the same exact meter all taken from the same draw and within 3 minutes and found the meters themselves varied 32, 23, 19 and 82. This troubled me since I am trying to get to where you suggest blood sugars should be but feel these meters are way to inacurate. I value your opinion greatly. What do you believe is the most accurate meter out there, regardless of cost?

I have been going crazy comparing meters trying to find accuracy. Regardless of cost, what do you believe the most accurate meter is?

Yeah, the One Touch Ultra Mini I had was always about 32 points or more lower than my Breeze 2… I just never use the Mini anymore.

I would almost recommend any other meter, than an Ultra Mini… because like I said before, they were off more than 32 points lower from my Breeze2, and more than 45 points off of my lab work. (We have 2 at home… husband has one, and I have another one… both the same issues.)

Thank you Lizmari! What do you think is the best meter out there, regardless of cost?

Ever meter shows different readings I guess its because of the makers or something.
They explained that to us at the dafne course so the trick is choose one meter and use that dont confuse yourself because diabetes is confusing enough to be honest.

I am quite happy with my Breeze2, because the strips are in disks – which means I never have to touch them with my hands, or accidentally drop them onto other surfaces by accident (i have somewhat clumsy hands), so there’s less risk of contamination and messing up results… I also don’t have to code them, so I don’t mess that up, either, by forgetting… and they react to fewer external factors/substances, as the Ultra ones and other brands do… I had a link, somewhere about that. Ah, here it is! http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:7m_zUMx11FgJ:https://www.accu-chek.com/documents/miscellaneous/BGM_Facts.pdf+One+Touch+GDH-PQQ+technology&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESju3o1WBFnDOs51wkBfY2dlL4LdKgAq8BMtvRQRy2_6Y55QtawstBfE-2iW-oK0bjfoQbD_jOklayqnlGQuY8V-tQSaIfCt9gDZFd2DtcRpYo8CNbzD2D21IBfQuH8cg-KxDpXm&sig=AHIEtbRsoL-uS6HWFDR_uQP7I5CTitCt1Q

I got the meter free, off of their site. Each disk has 10 strips… and I usually can find the strips on google shopping for extremely cheap online (minding the Exp date, and time of year, of course… as it’s hot in the summer, and strips can go bad sitting in the heat of a truck all day)… I’m generally about 15-10 pts off of labwork, with that one. Pretty decent.

Thank you much! I’ll look into the Breeze.

Thanks John! That is great information to have. I’m still kind of new at this … so, 1. Is there a right way to test, ie, strip pointing down? or up? or what and especially important, if you don’t mind, 2. How do I test a meter at the lab?

Thanks John! Will do!

My accucheck aviva always reads high against the lab up to nearly 20% it is a bummer.

none get the cheapest. The problem is with the too short measuring time usually 5 seconds does not permit the coulombmetric method that was used when time was 60 seconds.