Type 1.5 Diabetes? Yes

If Khurt hadn’t brought it up, I’d still be in the dark about it. I had no clue that there was such a thing as type 1.5 diabetes. And what’s sadder is that I fit the description to the “T”. I was originally diagnosed type 2, responded “well” to oral medications and eventually didn’t. Tested positive for antibodies, so I got re-diagnosed as type 1.

Any more type 1.5 types around?

Here’s more reading on the topic.

Sounds like me…my doctor has never called it 1.5 but has often said that I have the qualities of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. I was originally diagnosed at age 21 as Type 2 but required insulin a few months later.

Officially, there is no such thing as type 1.5, at least according to the “Report of the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus” which was prepared by an international Expert Committee, working under the sponsorship of the American Diabetes Association, established in May 1995 to review the scientific literature since 1979 and to decide if changes to the classification and diagnosis of diabetes were warranted. The Committee met on multiple occasions and widely circulated a draft report of their findings and preliminary recommendations to the international diabetes community. In 2003, the Committee discussed and revised numerous drafts of a manuscript that culminated in this published document. (Diabetes Care 26:S5-S20, 2003). However, from a practical standpoint, it certainly makes sense to refine the classification since most people known as type 1.5’s don’t really fit the mold of traditional type 1s or type 2s.

I was 44 when I became diabetic, and within a month started insulin because oral meds had no effect. My endocrinologist also thought I was a type 1.5; she described this type as someone who needs insulin, even though insulin might still be naturally produced. Just recently (10 years after the initial diagnosis), my new endocrinologist had some type of test done (of course, requiring even more blood than usual!!), and determined that now at leat, I have no naturally occurring insulin.

I’m not sure what a type means practically, in terms of day-to-day living. Is there the thought that a 1.5 type could ever not require insulin?

Yup I’m a T1.5. There’s some argument about what 1.5 actually is - it seems it has a few different definitions, but as far as I’m concerned it’s LADA (Latent Auto-immune Diabetes in Adults). Just a slower onset form of Type 1 that generally hits in the adult years.

I fit the typical story of a 1.5 - diagnosed as a T2 but pills & diet changes hadn’t done anything for me and I lost a heap of weight… If it wasn’t for a good endo who sent me for the right tests, I may have gone on like that for a long time :frowning:

I generally just call myself a type 1 - saves a lot of confusion, especially when talking to people who wouldn’t have a clue about diabetes and probably don’t even know the difference between the two main types. It gets tricky once you add LADA and MODY and gestational etc!

Yep, I’m a LADA too. Although being named after an awful Polish copy of a Fiat is a dubious honour. :smiley:

I am apparently a 1.5 as well. Go figure. I always assumed my original endo screwed up my diagnosis because I never did well with the oral meds. I wasnt diagnosed until I was in my mid 20’s so I fit the description to a T as well. Although, I dont think any doctor has ever used LADA or type 1.5 when describing me. My 2nd endo pretty much said, you should be on insulin. Why arent you on insulin? Great doc but his bedside manner left a LOT to be desired.

Sounds like me too. Doctors thought I was more Type 1 than 2,but since 2 runs in my family they went with that diagnosis. But, I fit the 1.5 description well. Interesting…

I’m also a type 1.5, misdiagnosed as a type 2 because of my age. Did okay the first year or two on medications, then began to lose tons of weight and my numbers and A1c skyrocketed. On a diabetes message board similar to this one, I read about the C-peptide test and requested one which proved I was NOT a type 2, my diagnosis was changed to type 1.5 and I’ve been on insulin ever since. A1cs have been in the 6s for past 3 or 4 years. It is true if you say you are a type 1.5, people have no clue what you are talking about. Sometimes I just say I am a late onset type 1 and let it go. Sometimes I like to perplex people by saying I am a type 1.5.

I’m a LADA, too. My first endo (quack quack) said I was a Type 2 and told me to do diet and exercise when I was already exercising 2 hours a day and eating less than 120 grams of carbs. Well, an endo must know what they’re doing, right? Nine months later I was exercising 3-4 hours a day and eating less than 30 grams of carbs a day. My bg just kept going up and I felt awful all the time. The endo kept saying I was doing great and I didn’t need medication. Finally I had enough time to think over the holidays and realized my endo was nuts. So I got a new one! We tried every medication ever and finally I got insulin, yay! (The reason it happened that way is because I caught my diabetes way before anyone does usually, so I didn’t have enough proof for a year).

You know, reading everyone’s stories here, I’m starting to wonder if ALL of us Type 1s who were diagnosed as adults aren’t Type 1.5/LADAs…because of the way we became diabetic. It was a gradual attack on our beta cells, eventually reducing them to the point where we were only producing 10% of the insulin of a normal person.

I think a lot of people – even doctors, in many cases – believe that anyone who gets D as an adult is automatically a Type 2. I had to ASK my endocrinologist for the tests to determine whether I was Type 1 or 2 (GAD 65 antibodies and C-peptide). He didn’t mention or offer them to me. I wonder how many misdiagnosed “Type 2s” are out there?

I’m just glad I got on insulin right away and didn’t waste time fiddling around with oral meds, because I’ve heard that being on insulin gives your (remaining) beta cells a rest and can lengthen the honeymoon phase. I’m 39 and I was diagnosed last July.

I’m also type 1.5 and thanks to my wonderful primary care DR it was discovered quickly. In June 2005 I was 48 years old, I had been losing weight quickly without trying to because I wasn’t overweight, my vision was blurry, thirsty, all the classic symptoms. My primary DR called with my results of my blood work and sent me to an Endo who proceeded to diagnose me type 2 and put me on Metformin and Actos and sent me home with a meter and said see you in a month. My BG was 477 that day and my A1c was 14.1. The next week I had a follow up appt with my primary DR and he asked how I was doing with my insulin. I told him I wasn’t taking insulin and he asked why not. He was angry with the Endo and asked why he diagnosed me type 2 and if the Endo did any additional test. The Endo assumed because of my age that I was type 2. My primary DR put me on Lantus that day and did the C-peptide and GAD to prove I was type 1. I was on injections for 1 year and then went on the pump. I’m using the Animas 1250 pump and Novolog and I love my pump!!

Me Too! I was diagnosed as LADA by my endo and was put on insulin immediately (tests later confirmed). I was never mistaken for a type 2 though. I just remember before being referred to my endo, I couldn’t believe I was diabetic because I am a marathon runner and a vegetarian and all I knew about was type 2. I barely knew anything at all about diabetes, so I still thought of Type 1 as “Juvenile” diabetes. Sadly not long after my diagnosis at age 30, my 2nd cousin (who I never met) died of DKA at onset. He was 31 and apparently thought he had a virus till he passed out and his wife took him to the ER. He would have been the only other person in my entire family with diabetes. I just think I’m lucky to have caught it early and treated in the correct way.

Yeah, I find the LADA / 1.5 thing confusing. I guess I fit in there too, but I don’t use that label at all and none of the doctors I’ve ever seen used it either.

I was diagnosed as Type 2 at age 25 by my general practitioner with a fasting glucose of 313. I responded somewhat but not well to Glucophage. Oddly, I was actually pretty slender at that time (lighter than I’d been for the previous 7 years). I saw an endo for a second opinion two months later and he immediately said Type 1. I was positive for GAD antibodies. However, even 2-3 years after my C-Peptide was on the low end of normal, though I wasn’t producing enough insulin to regulate my sugar. I figure I was always a high insulin secreter. Unlike those with LADA, though, I have always been resistant to insulin. Now I think I fit under the new label of “double diabetes.” But it’s just easier to say Type 1 and deal with all the other stuff myself.

Have you looked into MODY at all? It’s a genetic form of diabetes that runs in families.

For what its worth, Simon, I think Lada was a Russian car, not Polish … when I lived in Finland, there was a joke about the Lada because it evidently won “car of the year” in some Finnish auto magazine, and everyone used to joke, “Lada, car of the year … maybe two!”. Anyway, this has nothing to do with latent autoimmune diabetes in adults, but it was humorous!

Yep, me to. I was diagnosed as Type 2, didn’t respond hardly at all to oral meds, and then tested positive for the anti-bodies. So now I’m Type 1.

I usually just declare myself as a Type 1 to the rest of the world.

Guess who’s LADA too: Kenneth Moritsugu, the acting surgeon general.

I was 19 and diagnost with gestational diabetes. After the birth I was still running sugars of 600 and more. The Dr’s. think I had Diabetes when I was younger. It is still hard to control. I am having to check my sugars 6 to 8 times a day and give insulin shots 5 times.

If there is a bettereay of managing type 1.5 instead of type 1 someone tell me.