Type 1 and a Low Carb-High Fat Diet

My average daily carb intake is about 88g. Is that considered low carb?

i am T1D. no matter how i try, Regular Bolus, Dual Bolus, Square Bolus, a variation on all of the above, i cannot seem to get my carbs in for a sufficient amount which would help me to GAIN weight. i do a pretty fatty diet, but am not certain which fats are “good” fats. i eat eggs every morning and sometimes in the afternoon w/ copious amounts of butter, i drink coffee w/ copious amounts of half and half, i eat butter w/ my peanut butter (which i eat throughout the day to keep my BG steady, i eat avocados, i eat chicken thighs marinated in olive oil, spinach and kale w/ olive oil, i eat the skin off of the chicken. i eat salmon, tuna w/ heavy amounts of mayo.

am i eating right? any suggestions? thanks Richard157

1 Like

@ Daisy_Mae, does your CDE help you with the diet to help you gain weight?

Drink beer! I gained 10 pounds that way.

1 Like

i don’t drink alcohol :wink: but i do consume copious amounts of butter peanut butter and chicken fat :smile:

Ok. I forgot the other part of the “drink beer diet” is to also eat a bacon cheese burger with an egg on top with each beer. :smile:

[quote=“Khurt_Williams, post:92, topic:46521, full:true”]
Ok. I forgot the other part of the “drink beer diet” is to also eat a bacon cheese burger with an egg on top with each beer. :smile:
[/quote]And put ketchup, mustard, and relish on a whole grain bun :slight_smile:

1 Like

just got home from “breaking fast” (Jewish New Year observance) and packed down food like there was no tomorrow. bailies, cream cheese, sweet butter, X-tra large farm tomatoes, salmon (lox), whitefish and sturgeon, berries,some honey cake (for a sweet new year), chocolate babka ( just looked at it :frowning: )….you get the point. A veritable food orgy.

@Daisy_Mae shanah tovah!

lox and cream cheese together on a whole wheat bagel and a cup of coffee (just coffee, no cream) – ah, awesome breakfast. But I eat only half the bagel. Too many carbs (over 50g).

I skip the bagel altogether & roll up the cream cheese & capers in the slices of smoked salmon, sometimes add a little minced onion

1 Like

Yes, skip the bagel … unless you are trying to gain weight like @Daisy_Mae is. Bagels (well half anyway) with lox and cream cheese are a treat, not my everyday.

Daisy Mae, you are eating healthy fat, which is an important part of a LCHF diet. You might want to try the online support group in the link below. They are very much in favor of LCHF there. They might also hel you with a weight gaining diet.

I have a recollection from reading Dr. Bernstein’s book that he found he was unable to help Type I diabetics gain weight by increasing the fat they ate. But if he increased the amount of protein they ate, they would gain weight. If I can find the exact page for that, I’ll let you know.

Kitty3-

yes i do eat a high fat diet, but it is also very high in protein. chicken, fish, eggs, greek yogurt, nuts, etc. i think the only way i’m going to gain some weight is by eating 2X as much as i do. i don’t know where i’ll find the time.

thanks

thanks richard. i’ll check it out.

hooray for you and your open-mindedness. i came on to TuD to educate myself and find support. everybody seems to have a different answer to how to manage not just THEIR D, but everyones D. “you should do this; you should do that…” i just glean info and try it all out. maybe not a lot of experimenting, but some. after many yrs of being D, i do have some clue as to what will work for me and what won’t. i also know that it is much easier not to eat certain things that have uncomfortable consequences, than to eat them now and then and feel like death afterwards. i know that “corrections” are always an option, but it is draining and uncomfortable. i feel like i have the flu when my BGs aren’t in control. i am VERY carb sensitive. i just can’t get away w/ eating straight out carbs; even something like barley or other grain foods i cannot bolus for successfully. i’ve tried every combo bolus possible. there are people on this site who feel fine weighing their slices of bread to micro-manage their D. i just can’t live like that. so i do what works, i experiment here and there, and then w/ some frustration i let things go. it can get all consuming and exhausting and then i just get depressed.

Your post is a perfect example of how we all have to find what works for us. I am not willing to eat low carb, because my diet is already quite limited by food allergies, and I can only let my life revolve around my health so much at this point in my life. So I eat carbs and accept that I will often spike—but I’m not that sensitive to spikes, in that I can still function perfectly well if I’m moderately high. I try to moderate spikes by pre-bolusing and eating meals that are lower on the glycemic index, though.

If other people aren’t willing to accept spikes and can eat a low carb diet and have it fit well into their life so that they’re happy, then that’s great! It makes no sense at all for me to tell you that you’re “wrong” for not eating certain things, or for feeling lousy at high numbers because I feel fine, or that you don’t do this because I do it and it works for me. We can all talk about our own experiences and hasn’t worked for us, but who is anyone here to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn’t do or what’s “right” and “wrong” just because they proclaim it so?

We’re all individuals leading incredibly different lives. We’re all different ages, live in different countries, have different lifestyles, different personalities, different goals, different experiences, different durations and types of diabetes, diabetes that behaves in different ways (even if we’re all “Type 1”, some produce insulin, some don’t, some have complications, some are hypo unaware, some have access to advanced technology), and we all face different health issues (some here are perfectly healthy aside from diabetes, some have diabetes plus various other health conditions or disabilities). About the only thing we have in common is diabetes.

9 Likes

thanks jen,

i appreciate your honesty and your open-mindedness. its great to hear others on TuD to express themselves w/ such candor.

Daisy Mae

1 Like

organic, pasture raised animal fats of all kinds. Butter and cream especially promote a healthy microbiome and support healthy levels of vitamin D

organic coconut oil and olive oil.

I also take DHA as a supplement.

These are my faves :wink:

Tamera, I am curious how you are doing now? I too just recently started metaformin and a low carb diet.