Type 1 and Iga deficiency?

Hi,
I have a 3 yr old (type 1 since 13 mos) and she has been recently diagnosed with Iga deficiency.
The dr told us that there is no treatment for his deficiency.
Does someone have a kid with type 1 and Iga deficiency ? If so, have you find vitamins, or something in traditional or non-traditional medicine that may help ???
Thanks !!!

IgA is a type of antibody that protects against infections of the mucous membranes lining the mouth, airways, and digestive tract, so you have to expect she’ll be susceptible to those kinds of infections – sinuses, lungs, stomach, urinary tract. The best medicine for her is prevention of infection – supporting a strong immune system and providing her with natural antibacterials so that infections don’t get started. Keeping her well hydrated is your best place to start, and I’d include a cold-water humidifier in her room so that her nose and mouth don’t dry out when she sleeps. Vitamin D, in particular, supports immune system against infection so you might want to have her levels tested (most T1D children are deficient) – I give my sons 2000 IU per day using vitamin D drops I bought online from Carlson labs, since neither one can swallow pills and they complained when I ground up pills into their food/drink. There are lots of foods that act as natural antibiotics. Not sure how a 3-year-old will deal with these so you might have to wait to introduce them, but garlic & hot peppers are two good antibacterial foods, also chamomile tea which is milder in flavor, and easier to get a little one to drink! Teach her to brush her teeth & gums thoroughly, and when she’s older you may want to have her gargle with warm salt water daily (and if it’s not too gross, she could also rinse her sinuses with salt water too using a neti pot–makes the nasal passages inhospitable to bacteria). Also you may want to try putting her on a gluten-free diet since IgA deficiency seems to favor autoimmune disease (no surprise there) and can make it particularly tough to diagnose celiac, for which T1ds are at higher risk. Be on the lookout for respiratory infections. I got some tips here: http://www.womentowomen.com/inflammation/foods-immunityandrespirato…. Hope this helps.

THanks for the info !!!
Just one question…her dr said that she need vitamin D and recommended me to give her 400IU per day (as she got the results on her labs and her vitamin D is 35), do you think I should I give her more ?? If you give more do they pee what they don’t need ?? Thanks !!

Your daughter’s level of 35 is above the cutoff level for “deficient” and would be considered adequate, but it is not high enough to prevent colds & infections – for that, you need to have a level of 50-60 IU. A vitamin D supplement of 400 IU daily will probably keep her where she is but it won’t likely increase her to where she can better fight off infections. (This is why I am giving my sons 2000 IU daily – we live in Maine, and Eric’s test at diagnosis was below the cutoff for being deficient, so I’m trying to get them both up to 50 in a place where there’s almost no sun from October to April!)

If you live somewhere sunny, like Florida or Texas, you probably can improve her levels to the infection-prevention level just by making sure she gets 15 minutes of sun (no sunblock) every single day in addition to her supplement. If you do that in the morning or late afternoon there’s less likelihood of sunburn (the strength of the sunlight or time of day doesn’t make any difference in how well she produces vitamin D from sun). But if you live up north like I do, a supplement of 400 IU isn’t going to do it and you may want to give her more.

Vitamin D is stored in the body not peed out, but it’s used for so many tasks, you’d really have to give her a lot for her to have too much–1000 or 2000 IU should be fine given where she’s starting. Just make sure it’s D3 and not D2, because D3 is what we actually produce in our skin (D2 is a synthetic version). To give you an idea, ordinary sunlight produces as much as 10,000 IU in the skin before the skin shuts off the mechanism that makes it, and that’s PER DAY. In the north where I live, the only people who have adequate vitamin D during winter are the ones who are in the sun a lot during summer, and who have good overall health to begin with so they’ve got adequate storage for the seasons when the sun can’t produce it.

Good luck with that!

oh, and Here’s the best place to learn more about vitamin d: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Your dr’s recommendation of 400 IU is in keeping with the old info before a lot of the research on vitamin D showed that 1000-2000 is a more appropriate dose for most people. Eric’s endocrinologist was pretty emphatic that 2000 was just fine, and he said I could probably go up to 5000 with no trouble, at least till we get tests showing Eric is in the range we want him in.

We live in Florida, so I’ll make sure she is out more…
I’ll read the info in the link you just sent me so I can then go to Whole Foods and but Vitamin D for her.
Thanks sooooo much for all the information !!!
Happy New Year !!!

yay for Florida sunshine! I wish I had some of that right now, we’re getting snow. happy New Year to you too…