Type 1 diabetes and MS

How often do those with type 1 diabetes develop Multiple Sclerosis?
Just curious… I heard there was a link between the auto immune diseases

I don’t know what the overlap is. I have a friend with both.

If you are at risk, it might be a VERY good idea to start taking 2000-3000 IU of Vitamin D every day. Buy the kind in oil, not calcium tablets. Walgreen’s “Finest Natural” house brand is a good example.

There’s a lot of evidence that Vitamin D may prevent MS, especially since it is so much more prevalent in northern latitudes where there is no sun for much of the year.

Vitamin D may cause unexpected hypos when you first start taking it, so be aware of this. For me, this effect lasted a few days and then faded out completely.

It also uplifts mood. There is a lot of controversy over what the maximum safe dose is. You can get your doctor to measure your Vitamin D levels. Mine did after 6 months of supplementing with 1000 IU and I was just into the normal range with plenty of room for more supplementation.

The endo told me to take it because there is some evidence it also fights melanoma and I’m a melanoma survivor.

I just started researching this very issue. I found a 2006 Danish study that reported T1 Diabetics had more than a 3-fold increased risk of MS (they are both autoimmune diseases). I’ve been having leg weakness and balancing difficulty symptoms off & on for a few months. The Doctor yesterday raised the possibility (too early to really know) of MS.

Type 1 Diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis

Since type 1 is autoimmune what I’ve read and heard is that any other autoimmune disease can happen. The immune system has messed up already why not another too. I’ve herad of type 1 and lupus.

I have Type 1 diabetes and my sister has MS – there are studies that suggest these two conditions “cluster” in families. However, a recent study published in Canada about a week ago says MS is triggered by a Vitamin D deficiency. MS and Type 1 diabetes are more common in northern countries.

Colleen

Thats Wierd So Im in Colorado do they consider that Northern

Interestingly enough, there’s a significant correlation in the occurrence of MS and the distance from the equator. I’ve also read that Vitamin D may be one factor. Do you happen to know the name of that study or have a link?

Low Dose Naltrexone is being used by some to stop MS. I wonder what effect it would have on progression of Type 1?

Vitamin D and Diabetes-Can We Prevent it?

Although Jenny is right that 2000~3000 may be sufficient for outdoorsy folk during summer it is probably too low to prevent Type 1 incidence or progression. Ideally a 25(OH)D around or above 60ng/ml needs maintaining so http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ije/2010/235035.html">during and pregnancy and lactation vitamin D is naturally available in mothers breast milk Hollis shows here how 6400iu/daily was required at latitude 32N.

This LEF study shows the25(OH)D levels resulting from 5000iu/daily …

and this shows Grassrootshealth results.

From which you will see that 2~3000iu/daily/D3 leaves many people somewhat deficient and well below the level at which our DNA evolved to function optimally.

The expanding genetic overlap between multiple sclerosis and type 1 diabetes
this shows how there is an overlap in genetic propensity. We also know that vitamin D status is implicated in activating or deactivating these genetic predispositions.
Underlying the problem is the fact that 25(OH)D levels globally are lower now than previously and it isn’t just the use of sunscreens and lifestyle changes increasing time spent indoors.Diet changes also induce vitamin D insufficiency and environmental changes, (dust in upper atmosphere reflecting UVB into space, pollution at lower level particularly in towns absorbing UVB) make matters worse. Because you cannot be certain sufficient UVB is reaching the ground where you sunbathe it’s important from time to time to check your 25(OH)D to be certain it stays in the natural primitive range 60~80ng/ml so you always have in your body a reserve of D3 to help deal with inflation.

My grandson has both DM1 and MS. His sister has DM1 and Ms symptoms but not diagnosed with MS. they have spent their lives in New Mexico. They have been exposed to lots of sunshine. They have also,in the past, ingested a lot of Aspartame in their diabetic lives and it is known to cause MS symptoms.I wonder if it can tip the scales in sensitive individuals...