Type 1 For 74 Years

Very inspiring story, Richard, thank you.
It just goes to show you that there are no guarantees either.
Like you, I have tried to maintain a healthy lifestyle and BG control, over just 33 years with T1D. Now, at 71, I recently had a stroke, which has affected my peripheral vision. Despite “ideal” blood pressure, pulse and chemistry, a plethora of tests have failed to determine a cause. As they say, better to be lucky, than good?

2 Likes

Richard, I so appreciate you and your great attitude. You so freely share with others, and truly help so many people. You certainly inspire me! Thank you for your dedication and all that you do to improve the lives of people with diabetes.

1 Like

Hi @Melitta, I appreciate your comment. I admire you for your wonderful articles. I have shared some of your articles on my Facebook page. They were well received! Please keep on writing.

Hi @John67, please keep on trying to “maintain a healthy lifestyle and BG control.” I’m sure that is helping you. The stroke may be more related to genes rather than diabetes.

I’ll pat you on the back! I’ve been Type 1 for 62 years now.

Robert

2 Likes

Thanks. Double pat back to you!!

Ame

1 Like

Believe me, no one will ever pat you on the back for anything at the Joslin Clinic, where I was a patient for many years after diagnosis in 1968. Try Mass General, where the drs. Are humane.

Wow, 1968, you go girl! I like my doctor at Joslin, have had the same doctor since 1991. A.

1 Like

Woa!!! You are so inspiring, Richard!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom and history with us.

I am glad you’ve experienced no falls this year. Sending you a BIG HUG and wishing you an extraordinary 2020!

1 Like

Hi @askmanny!! Manny, I am so pleased that you received that award!! You are a very deserving person!
Thanks for reaching out today!

1 Like

Congrats on 74 T1D years!

You continue to be an inspiration, thank you!

I’m sorry you experienced falls in 2018, but so pleased you were able to address that with PT. Even “sugar-normal” folks need PT as they age to avoid falls.

My non-diabetic dad had to relearn walking at age 84 because his hearing had diminished with age. Our hearing gives us little cues that we’re not even aware of to help us stay balanced.

1 Like

@YogaO, thanks for the info about hearing and balance. I am wearing hearing aids, but not when taking long walks. I am going to wear them the next time I take a walk.

@Richard157
Great Job Sir
Its been 2 years since i got diagnosed with diabetes.
I am 29 now

May i know your typical fasting and PP blood sugar range
Can you share any advice to someone like me about how can i age complication free

Thanks
Preet

@preet31, there is no set routine that will work for all type 1 people. We are all different. What works for me may not work well for you. Each type 1 diabetic needs to work out a routine by trial and error, until something is working well. Then keeping careful charts or records can help with making frequent changes, as needed.
I eat an average of 140 carbs per day. I am usually using 36 units of fast acting insulin each day in a pump. My insulin:carb ratio is 1:10 (one unit per 10 carbs), but I am less sensitive to insulin in the early morning, so I use a 1:7 ratio for breakfast.

I avoid many foods that have fast acting carbs. I avoid rice, cereal, and most pasta. When I do have pasta or potatoes, I eat small portions.
I am using a 70-170 range on my Dexcom CGM, and I stay in that range more than 90% of the time. My A1C has been in the 5.4-6.4 range for almost 20 years.

There are other T1D’s who are using a 70-150 range, and doing very well with it. There are some who eat less than 50 carbs per day, I refuse to do that. As long as I can avoid serious complications, I do not intend to change my routine. I enjoy my life the way I am doing it now, and I do not intend to change.

This might not work so well for you. I hope you will develop your own routine, and I hope it will work well for you.

1 Like

Thanks Richard for sharing your method
I am also doing great with my numbers (below 130), its just the fasting blood sugar which is keeping up on my toes, it goes beyond 200 mg/dl
I need to check on that

1 Like

That’s great. i had a good one for several years, then a revolving door with super-long waits in exam rooms experience lows. Doctors had no idea what it was like to have T1D.

This has been very educational - thank you! I’m a T1 x 50 years. I had a very successful kidney transplant 33 years ago after a year on hemodialysis and had proliferative retinopathy at the classic 15 year mark, addressed successfully with lasers (ophthalmologist says it’s a “miracle” I can see). I have no neuropathy - numbness, tingling, pain etc. - or cardiac issues. I have been and remain active (cycling, hiking, gym and flyfishing and only just hung up my downhills last year).
I do have balance trouble however, and never attributed it to diabetes. With apologies for the lengthy bio, could I ask for suggestions on how to verify that my teetering might be T1-related?

1 Like

Hello @AuntieFi, the neuropathy in my feet and legs is causing my balance problem. How do you know that you don’t have neuropathy? Have you had a neurologist prescribe a test for neuropathy? I had an EMG test which revealed my problem.

@AuntieFi - I don’t know of any specific test(s) that can be run to establish what your loss of balance is caused by. It’s really more a process of elimination.

In my case, my neurologist ruled out other neuromuscular disorders, as well as diabetic neuropathy (which fortunately I don’t have as of yet).

Richard, you may well be right. Despite all kinds of scans and tests there is not much they can do. There is some restriction in my right occipital artery and surgery in that area is extremely risky so, no go there.
My plan is now to stay as healthy as I can and go back to sailing my boat, in Alaska, next season.